A mystic-less purpose of QiGong...

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Dan Bian, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

When you're practising your martial art, whether it be Taijiquan, or Kickboxing, or Jui Jitsu, the importance of steady, deep breathing is obvious.

When we first start training, the tension in the body causes us to hold our breath when we are exerting ourselves, as if we are bracing for some sort of impact.

To me, qi gong (literally 'breath skill') is the practice of developing the ability to breath smoothly whilst moving the body.

We start by practicing static postures, so we can train the breath to be steady whilst holding these positions. The varying positions put stress on the body in different ways, and we train our breath to be smooth.

Then we move onto the moving qigong methods, starting slowly, so again we control the breath as we move through the range of the exercise. We then take these breathing skills into our fighting technique training, whether solo or with a partner.

But why this long-way-round approach? It would be much faster to coordinate the breath whilst practising your punching, kicking and grappling against a bag or opponent.
    The key here is the mission to release the excess tension that we hold. We use the breath as a tool to release the tension that we pick up in daily life.

Just some of my thoughts on a mystic-free look at Qi Gong...

2. Pearlmks

Pearlmks Valued Member

The qi gong I did had a pretty immediate effect on my mood. If I managed to do it at least mostly correctly I felt quite a bit better after. If I did it badly I would end up at least annoyed and irritable. I've haven't felt quite the same effect from other types of exercise. It's obviously anecdotal but I've often wondered if it tweaked my chemistry somehow.