A movie 2 warm the hearts of yang, chen & bagua people.

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by wonk, Apr 11, 2006.

1. wonk

wonk Valued Member

Tai Chi Master (2005)
    Jacky Wu Jing, Billy Wong, Amy Fan, Yui Hoi
    http://www.kungfucinema.com/reviews/taichimaster2005_062005.htm

I just saw the film (actually a two-hour compilation of major plot points and fight scenes from a 12-hour TV series), and as a person who has practiced yang style and more recently, started learning Chen style taijiquan (also spelled Tai Chi Chuan), and I can't wait to show to some of the people I practice with on weekend mornings. (Outside of class, during the working week, everyone fits in their out-of-class private practice when they can). They'll love it. I know I did.

Jacky Wu Jing (often hailed as the neglected should-be successor to Jet Li’s kung fu star crown) utitlizes recognizable Chen style movements and push hands applications throughout this compilation/movie, even more so than the heavily wire-assisted mix of Yang and Chen style technique that Jet Li employed in the other film titled “Tai Chi Master" Yuen Woo Ping directed in 1993 starring Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh (also called “Twin Warriors”). This telling detail that actually makes a lot of sense, for today, there are recognizable differences between the Yang and Chen style forms. In the 2005 film, Jacky Wu Jing plays Yang Lu-Chan, the first outsider to learn Chen Family/Village Taijiquan, the style upon which his grandson, Yang Cheng-Fu would base his version of the traditional Yang Long Form, upon which most modern forms of taijiquan practiced around the world is derived. So it makes sense that when Jacky Wu Jing fights in THIS film, he’d use characteristic Chen style taijiquan body movement and techniques.

Even with the missing soap-ish story elements, the 2005 “Tai Chi Master” is a real treat to anyone who has studied Chen or Yang style for a year or longer, and has watched push hand applications drills, chin-na practice or sparring. Another treat for internal stylists is the final series of three matches between young Yang Lu-Chan and another internal style martial artist, who I am almost 100% sure is supposed to be Dong Haichuan, the founder of Baguazhang, another of the three major schools of internal martial arts (Taijiquan, Baguazhang and Xingyiquan – or Tai Chi Chuan, Pa Kua Chuan & Hsing-Yi Chuan). The character’s name sounds right, and his movements are clearly based on Baguazhang circle walking and palm strike technique. Heck, having watched both "The Duelist" and "Damo" (both the film and TV series, respectively, were based on the same novel) I now want to see the entire "Master of Tai Chi" TV series subtitled in English someday. I'd buy it. And properly marketed I am sure 1000’s of taijiquan (and possibly baguazhang) practitioners will scoop this up as well.

Recommended, despite the slightly disjointed quality of the narrative.

2. wonk

wonk Valued Member