A mission to boldly go...

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by nzric, Nov 20, 2003.

1. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Ok, here's a question that's sure to rub some people the wrong way.

I know a lot of people who have turned to IMA after being tired of/injured from trying external arts. I've heard them praise IMA for being more practical and healthier than the arts they previously practiced.

But I have to say I am sometimes a bit jealous. You see I have never done external MA (well, not seriously), so I don't have anything to base it all against. I have to admit I find it all a bit strange, with their funny costumes, all that bowing and the knuckle pressups, but I think "why knock it if I haven't tried it?". How do I know that taiji and bagua are so great?

So to be true to myself I should look into it and see if I dig the idea of hitting bricks and stuff. What do you reckon - should I try something like wing chun, which is at least a little familiar, or should I have a go at karate or tqd, and resist the temptation to fajing my way through my first sparring session?

I imagine a series of guide books/articles - EA written by an IMA person: "My experience fighting building materials", or IMA by an EA person "Hey, flower child - you really think you can kick my ass with THAT?!"

Just to make sure I don't get death threats - don't take the above comments seriously. I actually AM curious though.

2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Curiosity is a good thing -- why not try a few classes in an external style? Then you'll know whether it's for you or not. I do one each (one internal style, and one external), and they work great together.

3. Kat

Kat Valued Member

Nzric
    Jin Wu Kwoon in Chinatown has a great Muay Thai school with Grappling on Thur nights,I recommend these as the focus is on practical aplication and conditioning rather then uniforms,mebership fees, grades and forms like a lot of Karate and TKD schools nearby you.
    Catch up with A as I think he may be going to this school in the following weeks.
    That or the Sydney Uni boxing Club,very cheap very good.
    Hope thats of some use

4. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Cheers,

Kat - thanks for the info. I'll go to a Jin Wu class

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I think it is a great idea and I hope you stick with it. Let each style compliment eachother ;).

6. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

nzric,

I have to second the idea of taking Muay Tai. It should be sufficently different enough to give you a good comparison.

I have a feeling that you might find Wing Chun too much like an internal art. There are a lot of similarities (though I know Earle would disagree). Acutally it's funny, but the more I've been learning the Internal Arts the more I see thier influence on most Chinese/Japanese hard styles.

Good luck and way to keep an open mind!

- Matt

7. ns_oni

ns_oni Valued Member

i suggest some type of kung fu or ninpo :D

8. zun

zun New Member

Hey Nzric,

Like you also do Old Yang form, so know where you're coming from.

I take Muay Thai. Just to give you a quick heads up. MT is lethal (not as lethal as TJQ but that's another story :D).

The system is totally different. And I love it.

Starting training again today after a break of more than one year (have mercy on me :))

Let me know how you find the class

9. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

my advice:
    find a good mixed MA which includes grappling and weapons work.

You'll love it!

Breaking and knuckle pressups are not necessarily things that all MA clubs do! We don't do any of these but we do a lot of sparring and grappling and weapons...... I LOVE those weapons!

:D

10. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

What about one of the combo internal/external styles of Gong Fu, like white eyebrow, or fukien white crane? It seems like you could maximize the knowledge you already have, but also get to dabble in the bruising and bone snapping external arts.

11. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

well this is an interesting idea. you might like to put in a fajin during sparring anyway to see what the reaction within the kwoon is, for curiosity's sake.
    personally i think it is a great idea to if nothing else, broaden your horizons and find out how other people do things

have fun