A letter to Chris Kent from PFS

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Hannibal, Aug 7, 2011.

1. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Bruce Lee said I belive..JKD Is simply to simplify:).

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Bruce Lee said; "if people say Jeet Kune Do is different from this or that, then let the name of Jeet Kune Do be wiped out, for that is all it is, just a name. Please don't fuss over it."

He also said; "it is compassion rather than the principal of justice which can guard us against being unjust to our fellow man."

I think Pat O'Malley hit the nail on the head with his Peacock analogy.

3. equan

equan New Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-jT9lfS78Y&feature=player_embedded"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-jT9lfS78Y&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

5. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yeah come on equan,what is the point of putting that video in this thread?.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Especially As I posted it in the PFS retreat thread already

Mod request - can we lock this thread down now? I can little that will develop from it now and the "storm in a teacup" I started seems to have blown over

7. American MMA

American MMA Banned Banned

I skimmed through the pages of this thread, and still I'm confused...

I thought Sifu Chris Kent was Sifu Dan Inosanto's assistant instructor. Didn't Sifu Kent begin his JKD training while Bruce Lee was still alive? And isn't Shannon Lee the world's leading authority on Jeet Kune Do? I also made a comment that MMA isn't JKD... You guys gonna beat me up too? :cool:

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Shannon Lee the world's leading authority on JKD? I haven't kept up with JKD politics, but that seems kind of unlikely. No disrespect intended to Shannon Lee.

9. Hannibal

Nope

Nope

Nope

Nope

10. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Naw. Your doing a dam fine job of that all by yourself. And proper martial artist would look for more of a challenge When it comes to fighting. We tend not to fight with backyard bouncy castle kids

11. American MMA

American MMA Banned Banned

Someone sent me this article they retreived from a book called "Jeet Kune Do Conversations", for anyone who wants to look it up. I'm trying to get a copy of it myself actually, as I hear that Chris Kent, Taky Kimura, Daniel Lee, Bob Bremer, Richard Bustillo, Larry Hartsell, Ted LucayLucay, Cass Magda, Jerry Poteet, Joe Hyams, Dan Inosanto, Pete Jacobs, Sterling Silliphant, Tim Tackett, and Ted Wong are all in it...

And I quote:

"At 17, Chris Kent became the youngest member of Dan Inosanto's backyard Jeet Kune Do class. In June 1973, he started his JKD training while Bruce Lee was still alive in Hong Kong... During his years with Dan Inosanto he travelled extensively with him, serving as one of Inosanto's personal assistants for seminars and demonstrations."

Thank you Jose M. Fraguas for this information. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  12. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

The first bit is slightly disingenuous as Bruce Lee may well have been alive for a few weeks after Chris Kent started training, but he was on another continent and they never met, and there's a world of difference between being the experienced Uke for seminars and being an assistant instructor.

13. Hannibal

Actually I stand corrected. Kent joined the backyard group in June 1973 - Bruce died July 1973

That must have been a full 4 weeks....stunning

14. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Not even that, since Bruce was filming and most likely not teaching all that much.

15. Hannibal

Actually I meant it was a full 4 weeks that Kent joined whilst Bruce was alive - they never actually met at all

16. Pat OMalley

Wow not him not the guy that turned up to the WEKAF World championship in Manila in 1994 sat and watched for a day and a half then fell asleep because he was net lagged then flew back to Spain and wrote an article in the Spanish magazine stating he judged and referee'd at the world championships and trained with GM Navales of Negros ( he actually fell asleep next to him ) then tried to charge a fortune to join WEKAF Spain as he claimed to be an expert blah blah blah. Oh no not that reliable source who I got thrown out of WEKAF for lying and trying to ripped people off. Not him. Please tell me it ain't so.

How do I know this? Well I used to teach in Spain at the time as well as being a senior member of WEKAF at the time and I was the tournament director for that Manila event at the time which is also when Richard Bustilo was elected President of WEKAF but hey what do I know.

17. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

oh my god Pat. thats hilarious
    You PWNed him as my generation would say

18. Pat OMalley

Ah well you see unlike him some of us are not young online tekken players. Some of us are old buggers who have been around the block a few times and have literally seen that done that been there know them and helped design the t-shirt which is why I always say do some real research before posting as you never know who's listening in.

And yes we old sods know how to use computers too. ;)

19. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

[​IMG]

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

20. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I would consider that the forum equivalent of an atomic leg drop.

[​IMG]