A "Howse youse guys doin'?" from Chicago.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by HammockRider, Aug 10, 2010.

1. HammockRider

HammockRider Valued Member

Hello,
    I'm in Chicago and I haven't actually started a martial art yet. I'm interested in taking one up primarily for health reasons( I have diabetes and high blood pressure) so I'm looking at Tai Chi or maybe Aikido. They both look interesting to me. The martial aspect is secondary for now.

If anyone has any recommendations for good schools in Chicago, or for another MA that can really help improve my health issues I'd be glad for your suggestions.

2. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Depending on where you are located in the city.. I have contacts in chicago who teach various martial arts.. It also depends on what you want to learn..

3. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Welcome to the forum

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

Tai Chi would be a great choice. Our Academy has worked in hospitals with Heart Transplant patients and the results back after a six week period showed a drop in blood pressure.

It is a fantastic art.

Good luck in your search.

5. HammockRider

Thanks for the replies everyone. Simon your school looks pretty interesting. Now if only i could handle the commute. :)

Kuntaoer, I'm in Brookfield near the zoo. I'm looking for something right now that will help me rebuild my health. I had a minor hear procedure and can't really get into anything with full contact right now. I'd like to eventually build up to it thought. I used to wrestle in high school and prefer grappling but I'm open to anything that can help me.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  6. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I'll contact my people in chicago and see what is the closest to you..

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thank you, you would be most welcome to come along if you ever travel over to these parts.

8. ArthurKing

ArthurKing Valued Member

Failte/welcome/Croeso i MAP

9. HammockRider

Thanks Kuntaoer I'd appreciate it.

10. default

default Valued Member

stupid question...did your doctor say that you are healthy enough to do strenous exercise?

11. HammockRider

Yup he said as long as I take my time and gradually up the intenstity I should have no problem. He also said that I shouldn't be afraid to stop and take a breather whenever I feel the need.

12. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Look up an affiliated instructor of mine which teaches a program.. His website is http://ravenmethod.ning.com/. He trained with me in Kuntao for the 2 yrs I was living in chicago and is an affiliated instructor of the defensive tactics program that I teach which has a kuntao (both chinese and filipino based).. He also works with an acquaintances who teaches kickboxing, grappling and kenpo karate.. If you are looking for the filipino martial arts, I suggest that you look at the guys at midway kodenkan. they are down by archer and cicero.. They teach danzan ryu jujitsu, lua, dekiti tirsia siradas eskrima and penchak silat.. I also worked with these guys when I was stateside and had good times with them.. Good training, but at a pace which you can handle..

www.midwaykodenkan.com is their website..

13. rivend

rivend Valued Member

HammockRider are you a Cubs or a Soxs fan?

14. HammockRider

Thanks again Kuntaoer. I'll check it out.

15. HammockRider

Rivend, I guess you could calll me a lapsed Cubs fan. I liked them when I was kid in the 70's but eventually I ran out of patience. I tried to become a Sox fan but they just don't have enough decent bars around their stadium.:)

16. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Good LORD its frightening how similar our situations are - only I live up near McHenry. I have had a heart "issue", and I'm dealing with the aftermath of an achilles tendon rupture (not trying to one-up you man, injuries and illnesses are never a one-upper kind of conversation).

GOOD LUCK to you!!!