A Hamstring Rehabilitation Chronicle

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Dec 22, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Seriously? You think it the probable reason?

I suppose if that's true, it'd do me no good to switch therapy offices for hopes of a more robust and proactive programme...

Aye, maybe its time to go personal trainer on 'em. Sod 'em all. :evil:

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been to a physical therapist once when I tore my MCL in half, and the physical therapy sessions might as well have been a damn workout. I don't think it was a specific method for my injury alone either. The physical therapy "office" was more like a gymnasium, had a submersion pool and everything and multiple clients would be in there from everything that looked like a brutal car wreck the required shock therapy to guys with messed up rotator cuffs doing band work. There was definitely a "you've got to move and use it, just in a smart way" mentality.

Granted I was going to a therapy center for the University of Florida where the athletes also go because of a program through our high school, but since you're active physically I don't think it "clicks" with normal hospital therapy if that's what you're dealing with.

I'm going to keep this in mind when I go to the VA on Tuesday. I have an appointment with a physical therapist for my neck and I've been doing the "static stretching" stuff for months now and my neck isn't really getting better past a certain degree. I'll have to prepare some tactics for getting some decent exercises out of them and a method of progression just in case.

3. belltoller

Old roommate from years past is an M.D. at the VA - either the Naval hospital in Pourtsmouth or Quantico. Is there one in Norfolk - don't recall.

Anyroads, I'll try to look him up if you have trouble scheduling your gyno appts. :D

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

The quote I posted is probably an unfair generalisation.

Probably.

My personal experience of healthcare professionals (family doctors, surgeons, therapists etc) in the context of sports injuries is that I found most of them to be useless. I switched orthopaedic surgeons 2-3 times before I found one I liked who I was willing to allow perform surgery on me. I think I went to my generic post-op therapist a few times before I binned them and wrote my own rehab program. Their approach to therapy was too conservative and generic to get me where I wanted to be, which might be what you're experiencing.

Just wanted to give you some background info on why I have such a low opinion of them. Bear in mind there will be exceptions (MAP's own Late for Dinner is someone I will always have time for).

5. belltoller

Now that's taking control of one's outcome! :bow1: I'll wager I can imagine what some of the grief given you must have been like.

Obviously, you went in from the outset with a definite idea of how things should proceed! They not used to seeing that, then?

Ahh...what a familiar refrain :rolleyes: Well, at least I'm consoled by the fact that I'm not alone thinking that.

thank you kindly for the referral! I'll ring him up on my trusty MAP phone ;) at some point...Seems a nice fellow, anyroads - whether he's early, late or right on time.

6. ned

ned Valued Member

Any progress with your injury mate?Are you doing the same home PT routine,
    hamstring stretches etc ,hope you're not still stuck with the same therapist or if you are,that they're being a bit more positive.

7. belltoller

I'm still doing the same old bag...no, I'm in limbo with regards to a therapist, it seems the old office no longer thinks I need therapy :rolleyes: . I beg to differ with them - I'm very likely to end right back whence I began unless I do more corrective and proactive things.

I've been hampered with the wifey gone 3 out of 4 weeks a month - having to be mum and dad to two kids hasn't left a lot o time for researching the approach of eligible physio therapists.

I think I'll make a note to meself to get that done soon.

Thanks for asking!