A good workout plan for Taekwondo

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by PaCMaN, Oct 8, 2008.

1. PaCMaN

PaCMaN Valued Member

okay, so i am a yellow belt in taekwondo, and i want to make a workout for it, but it has to be without equipments or a partner, since i got none. I wanna make me punches, kicks, and reflexes faster along with strength and speed. Also some good excercises for stamina building. Any help will be rlly a help lol thx!

2. the australian

the australian Banned Banned

If you have enough room, shadow-boxing would be a good exercise for stamina building. Crunches, twisting sit ups (basically a sit up, but twist at the apex of the exercise), squats and push-ups are good strength building exercises.

3. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

I think the first thing you will need is a bag. Punching and kicking air is ok when you are first learning a technique, but if you want to develop speed and power you will need a bag. Have a look into bodyweight exercises if your not keen on getting equipment, there is lots on here or just use the old google. If your stuck let us know.

If I were you I would also look into working a flexibility routine into your workout.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Based on your stated goals I would suggest the following routine:

Every Morning

- Leg lifts to the front x 12 repetitions on each leg
    - Leg lifts to the side x 12 repetitions on each leg
    - Leg lifts to the rear x 12 repetitions on each leg
    - Do 5 sets
    - Relaxed stretch for your hamstrings (e.g. front split)
    - Relaxed stretch for your adductors (e.g. side split)

In this workout you are developing dynamic and passive flexibility.

Evenings

- 8 x 3-minute rounds shadow boxing (jabs, crosses, hooks and uppercuts)
    - 4 x 3-minute rounds skipping rope
    - 7 x 3-minute rounds shadow kicking (averaging 135-150 kicks a round)
    - Rest for one minute between all rounds

The punching and kicking exercises are great cardio drills in themselves. You can do the skipping with an imaginary rope.

This is just a general guideline. I think you are asking too much at such an early stage. It may be more beneficial to your body and your mind if you select one skill (flexibility or strength or speed or stamina) and develop it to a sufficient level before selecting your next goal. That way you are simply maintaining existing skills and learning only one new one, rather than learning three or four all at the same time.

At the end of the day, though, there is no substitute for partners and equipment. Don't get so caught up in training at home. Maybe try to look for other clubs that are open when you don't train at your regular venue?

Good luck.

Regards,

Dan

5. bluekey88

bluekey88 whimsical in the brainpan

Another thing you can do is burpee/rowing excercises progressions.

A bupree is where with feet shoulder width apart you drop your hips downinto a foll squat, puit your hands on the ground infront of you, shoot you rlegs back into a pushup potion, do a pushup, pull your feet into a swuat thne jum p up at least 12 inches into the air (all in one fluid motion). great all around strength conditioning excercise.

Rowing excercises are where you do a crunch while simultaneously pulling your knees into your chest.

Start doing 1 burpee and 1 crunch, rest 5-10 seconds, then 2 burpees and 2 crunches, rest 5-10 seconds...and so forth. Count how many round you can go and try to increase that over time.

Wind sprintsde are also good for building strength speed and anaerobic endurance.

Go to www.rosstraining.com for lots of ideas on ways to train with minimal equipment.

Peace,
    Erik

6. PaCMaN

PaCMaN Valued Member

okay, thanks to everyone who replied, but i have one more question, how do you do leg lifts. I searched on google but didn't find anything. Any help will b rlly appreciated. Thanks!

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Have a look here for leg lifts and all sorts of stretching loveliness:)

Mitch

8. PaCMaN

PaCMaN Valued Member

thank you verryyy much! i am gonna workout starting 2day! once again thanks 2 everyone who helped!!

9. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

10. PaCMaN

PaCMaN Valued Member

thankz i am gonna try it out !