A good teacher

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Hapkid0ist, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Hapkid0ist

Hapkid0ist Tsalagi Pride!!!!

What does everyone think makes a good and effective teacher. What qualities and abilities?

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

ruthless remorseless and utterly without malice.

koyo

3. Mei Hua

Mei Hua Banned Banned

Whatever fits in with my priorities at the time.

4. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

Hi all

In my opinion Good Teachers in the martial arts need high levels of technical ability, good communication skills, good coaching skills and motiavtional skills.

TOM

5. Pete Ticali

Pete Ticali Valued Member

Good Teachers

The path to good teaching is lit by being a "better" student.

Teachers are extremely naked. If they haven't mastered it as a student, they will certainly never convince their student as a teacher.

Begin to be..... that which you wish to become.

Pete Ticali

6. Cosmo Kramer

Cosmo Kramer Valued Member

they should focus a lot on details! making sure you do the basics correctly before you get promoted and try harder material

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

A good teacher helps to develop his/her students to their full potential. That's all he/she can TRY to do.

8. ghoststyle

ghoststyle New Member

Keeps you working on the basics and not skipping from one thing to another. Adds a new skill only after you have gotten the previous ones down.
    Example my boxing coach had me doing footwork for at least 3-4 weeks before I even threw my first punch. We always started my workouts with footwork. I didn't hit a bag until I had been boxing for almost 6 months, but it kept me where I needed to be, out of the reach of my oppoents.. Oh yeah and lots of patches make a really good instructor, if he doesn't have atleast 6 he isn't worth wasting your time with. :D

9. Keikai-Tsutsumi

Keikai-Tsutsumi New Member

I don't quite see relationship between "ruthless" and "remorseless" in Aikido. I can live with remorseless in terms of getting the best from your students and but to be ruthless implies, to me, a degree of sacrifice of a person's humanity. Not a thing I would encourage in any instructor.

My own instructor was Jan de Jong 9th Dan and I would describe him as determined and at times single minded but ruthless in his instruction - never.
    He led by his incrediable knowledge of ju jutsu, aikido, pencak silat and weapons and his desire to pass on his love of the martial arts.

He had a carisma that had his senior students stay with him for well over 30 years and attracted students from around the world. He was a gentleman at all times who could do very nasty things if and when he had to. He is still a source of inspiration some years after his death.

Greg Palmer

Tsutsumi Ryu Ju Jutsu