A Good Place to Train in the Wild

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Socrastein, May 7, 2005.

1. Munen Mushin

Munen Mushin New Member

You might try central/ western Pa, upstate Ny, Canada, Montana. It really matters how bad you want to relocate and the funds avaliable. When I was in Africa (Batswana-*sp) it was pretty desolate.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Where I live is a lot of countryside and isolated areas (Adirondack mounatins and north of them). Land is cheap, climate is pretty good. You can even come to our school sometimes and get a bit of training in with us. Take a look on your US map for Potsdam, New York State and the surrounding area, specifically Heuvelton, Dekalb, and Lisbon. PM me if you want to visit.

In all honesty, my advice would be to get your own little apartment where you can live isolated but stay close enough to a good school to train in. Good luck.

3. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

thing is, musashi was one in a million. Mas Oyama did the same thing (after he already had extensive trainnig) and he was a legend. Cro Cop apparently didnt do any sparring before his first fight in a ring- and he is astoundingly good. notice a pattern here? if you are awe inspiringly, amazingly, outstandingly good then yeah you can. what are the chances socra is one of these elite?

4. Coges

Coges Valued Member

I know I'm coming in on this one pretty late but a close friend of mine did the same thing about two years back. Here in Australia it may be a little bit different but he actually looked for land for rent. Now the land that he ended up renting was only about 10k's from the town and 5k's from his nearest neighbour but that gave him plenty of space. He was able to live almost completely off the land and as I recall he stayed there for six months and only went into the town twice.

I don't know if there is going to be anything like this where you are but good luck finding something.

5. geves

geves Valued Member

true and very good point, these guys were very rare in the world of MA.
    but self study isn't an all the way bad thing. it does several things.

1. and most important. it let's you know your self. a kind of ancient thinking goes. if you don't know what you are capable of, how can you know how you'd do in a fight?

2. you can practice everything your bad at, without redicule.

that's all i can think of at this point. but there's tons more.

but it's also got it's cons.

1. you don't/ won't know how you'd actually do agianst another person.

2. (see #1)

3. (see rule #1)

so i think internal MAs are more important for seclusion (sp?) but external one's are great, if you plan on re-entering society. if you plan to never enter society agian, external is pretty redundant (i know the spelling is crazy wrong on that one) unless you find spiritual enlightenment (sp?) in practice. the spirit is the best and most important part of MA (IMHO). sure slapping fools around is great. but if you isolate your self (especially in the states) they're gonna have a weapon of some sort (ussualy for hunting = gun)