A Fun Fact

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Darkflames21, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

Did you know that the name that they used for Tae Kwon Do a 1000 years ago was Tekken.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2003
  2. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Really? Who told u that? Cause Tekken means iron fists.

3. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

My Master and his girlfriend.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

No.... incorrect "spelling". May sound like Tekken somewhat.

Tae Kwon do has been called several differennt names during its course of evolution "Takkyeon" or sometimes spelled "T'aeggyon" ....

"T'aeggyon appeared in the early 1800s, about the same time that the Chinese martial arts became less popular, and in its modern form is an art emphasizing circular kicking, leg sweeps, and leg trapping followed by a throw. There does seem to be some link between modern t'aeggyon and t'aekwondo, since both arts emphasize circular kicking (roundhouse kick, spinning kicks) rather than linear ones (side kick, front kick), but any influence that t'aeggyon may have had upon t'aekwondo's development was not evident in the techniques of the latter until the 1960s"

Tekken? .... is a fighting game in which some guy named Kazuya Mishima always gets the crap kicked out of him (now that is a fun fact!)

hmmm.... maybe you ought to enlight your Master and his girlfriend

5. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

thank you for enlightening me on the matter. he was right. i just had the spelling wrong. Thanks kickchick

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... ho you're very welcome, no problem!

Hey let's keep this thread going with some more fun facts we can find and learn on Tae Kwon do?

Any takers?? ;)

7. Helm

Helm New Member

No matter how long i do Taekwondo for, or how many times i write it, on the first attempt i always spell Taekwondo as;

Takewondo.

Every single bloody time.

8. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

In South Korea, It is mantatory for students to go to every single competition in order to get their black belt.

9. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Sorry mate, that's just not the case. How do I know? I teach TKD to Koreans in Korea, and been here for 7 years...I would have come across this *fact.*

However, as a sad fact....Korean boys/men constripted (into the military) obtain (depending on base, and needs) their 1st degree black belts. That's not sad, what is sad is the length of time it takes them to obtain a degree from Kukkiwon....as in my little brother's case, just under one month.

Cheers,

Yang, Dae-han

10. Yang Dae-han

Actually, it's spelled 택견...or the current romanisation....Taek kyeon.

I do not know if Taek kyeon is/was the basis for TKD, but I could see it as fact.....as there are similarities.

Taek kyeon is still practised today, though not nearly as popular as TKD, obviously.

I sometimes visit Taek kyeon schools to practice, a nice break.

Cheers,

Dae-han

11. Greyghost

Greyghost Alllll rrigghty then!

didn't think TKD was 1000 years old?........can you give us more background on its history please

12. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

13. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Early Origins of TKD

Also thanks for the "clarification" Yand, Dae-han .... and welcome to MAP.
    Would love for you to post more about yourself in TKD Check In , living and teaching TKD in Korea will offer some of us more insight and education.

As far as spellings, even the word TAEKWONDO has been spelled many, many different ways.

The quote regarding "Taek kyeon" was taken from
    http://www.iub.edu/~iutkd/history/tkdhist.html ....

This is thread is turning out to be more RE: what is TKD fact and what is TKD fiction ... what happened to the "fun" ? (.... thanks neryo_tkd!)

14. Darkflames21

Darkflames21 New Member

15. Yang Dae-han

Actually, my ID should be Yang, not Yand.. a typo that I can't undo...bugger.

Cheers,

Dae-han

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

:D how's that? ... thanks to hongkongfuey! :)

17. WorldChampTKD

WorldChampTKD New Member

Isnt Tekken a game?

18. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Moder Tae Kwon Do only dates back to the 1950's, the older stuff is the traditional Korean arts wich TKD is based on along with Karate and other MAs. Remember, TKD is based on Traditional Korian MAs and Shotokan, Shotokan is based on older forms of Karate, Those are based on Okinawa-te, which is based on Kung Fu, Which is Varied but Based on practices from India. THERE ALL RELATED!!! Tekken is Japanese for "Iron-fist", so you could say "my master has Tekken." side note: in tekken the Mishima Karate is based on Okinawa-te, Not Japanese Karate!:D

IF ANY OF THE ABOVE IS WRONG THEN I'M AN IDIOT, SORRY!