A friend needs help...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SuperSanity, May 26, 2007.

1. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

She tells me she's fat (I don't think so) so she only eats one meal a day. Granted, she's a little flabby but this seems completely unhealthy. It sound like a psychological problem. Does anyone know how I can help her out?

Ad later I'll be posting a list of her physical ailments (quite a few) and I'll be asking for advice on a good fitness routine. Just some forwarning. :D The only one I know of right now is a lack of cartilage in one knee.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  2. relish

relish Valued Member

Jeez I don't know how anyone could live on one meal a day! I love my food :D Seriously though the lack of food will slow the metabolism down so far that she will keep fat on instead of burn it up. Although such a little amount of food could lead to other problems down the line of Anorexia.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/anorexianervosa.htm

If any of that sounds familiar I'd see a GP immediately, although to be honest (eating so little) it sounds like your friend might want to see a dietrician anyway. I believe that a majority of Anorexia cases are due to insecurities and the seeking of attention, although I have no hard evidence that was just from my Psychology AS.

Best of luck with it all, and I am in NO WAY a medical professional so take all that with a pinch of salt as it were!

Sam

3. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

Thanks for the advice. I know how this whole "I'm so fat" thing started, so maybe now that the influence of that it gone, it will help a little.

Her excuse for eating one meal a day is "It's a big meal." I just got off the phone with her, and she was having cereal, so I think she's almost back on track. But we're going to have a talk anyway.

4. relish

relish Valued Member

It's far better to keep a steady stream of calories coming through the day (by spreading meals) than having one large one creating a huge spike in the calorie intake levels! Spreading meals will also up the metabolism, helping to burn the fat that your friend has (somehow!) managed to store through one meal a day :D

Nps mate,
    Sam