A Few Words

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by WhiteWizard, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Canemaker

Canemaker New Member

This sounds like a great site. I am a disabled vet and know one would be more surprised then me to be disabled. It can happen in the blink of an eye or slowly disable you over the period of years. I will give you a quote: "There by the grace of God go I." I AM DISABLED! Now I have two choices, I can be angry and disabled or I can be disabled make the best of the situation. For me. I have choosen cain training for my exercises and mental well being

2. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

bruce lee was technically disabled. short sighted, one leg longer than the other and a bad back. live by his example be formless, shapeless like water. do not adhere to the confines of the ideas of others, break the moulds. i like the idea of the secret weapon being a prosthesis, how does that work for you, when you are not knocking yaself out.

3. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

is caintraining the same as kali/escrima

4. Canemaker

Canemaker New Member

Misspelled

Sorry Cain should be cane

5. inosanto1

inosanto1 Valued Member

i was not going to pick you up on that but, ok, it should be cane. are the movements like escrima, basic 12 count strikes etc or is it based on the traditional staff

6. Canemaker

Canemaker New Member

Insanto 1, It is not all that complicated. I am a fan of Master Shuey and Canemasters. I like the idea that I can carry a Cane (weapon) anywhere I go. That sounds like a magazine ad but "I carry my cane everywhere I go."

I was at a Presidental rally with President Bush attending. I went through the security gate with my Canematers Combat Cane. Try that with your Martial Arts weapon of choice. I like carrying my cane. It feels good and lots of people ask questions. I now collect canes of all sorts, except sword canes. Sword canes are consided concealed weapons in many States and Countries. I like the Idea that I can carry a cane (my weapon of choice) anywhere I go with out being questioned. By the way, I refinish the old canes I get and if I don't put them in my collection I donate them to the handicapped. Anyone out there that has some old canes let me know!

7. JuztMeee

JuztMeee New Member

This get's very close to the point. I haven't looked at the other threads yet -- perhaps this comment belongs elsewhere -- but I had to open my electronic mouth. (I'm not known for keeping it shut.)

Much of what is being said here seems to beat around one question. What is a disability? Some would quickly buy into the idea of being differently enabled. Others would look more closely at what one is unable to do. The fact of the matter is that the disabled or differently enabled are part of society and all parts of society need to figure out how they will deal with us. In 1983 The United States Army decided they didn't need me anymore -- because their doctor's had decided I have crone's disease. So they handed me off to the VA. The VA labeled me 30% disabled. (Personal note -- on a good day it may only be 5% -- on a bad day it may be more like 75%. Fortunately I have very few bad days.)

I suppose I fall into the differently enabled category. If you met me on the street you wouldn't even think disabled. As already stated I have Crone's disease -- it's a very complex gastrointestinal disorder that they're only now beginning to understand well enough to even ask intelligent questions about. Some in the medical community are suggesting that it's not a disease but a set of diseases that can (and often is) developed in sets -- meaning that you have a group of things that can go wrong and most of us won't have all of them. The common denominator is inflammation of the intestinal tract (sometimes but not always all of it -- starting with the mouth and going all the way through). We also tend to have inflammation in our joints (arthritis), nobody knows exactly why. The one place that it just about always shows up is the terminal ileum -- that's where your large and small intestines join and also happens to be where much of the Vitamin B-12 is absorbed in your system. (B-12 is one of the three things you need to make blood -- so we tend to be anemic.) They have figured out that the immune system is tied up in how things get screwed up to begin with (which may, for the first time, explain the arthritis ). Okay -- so why have I bothered to give this slightly technical explanation that most of you couldn't care less about?

For a very LONG LONG time some of the best healers in China were the Martial Artists. It made sense -- they had to deal with injuries. Now -- there's one other thing they were deeply interested in -- Chi. Guess what, the internal arts have a good deal to offer the Medical community and the Medical community is beginning (reluctantly) to admit it. (Not to mention the fact that exercise is generally beneficial for everyone.)

There have been two things that have helped me live a vastly more normal life: Immunosuppressant Drugs and Tai Chi (with it's associated Qigong). It's very interesting -- if you take a "map" of the Chi system, lay over that a map of the pressure points/accupuncture points, lay over that a map of the circulatory system and lay over that a map of the nervous system -- guess what they are all co-located. Nobody can explain it adequatly yet -- but these systems are all interconnected. If you're interested in more information I would refer you to the writtings of Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming. (It seems it took a western trained engineer who is also an eastern trained martial artist with a history of gut problems to help make the connection.)

The traditional writtings of our arts seem to have much to offer to the disabled or differently enabled. (By the way -- we are all differently enabled because we are all different.)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2006
  8. canemaster

canemaster New Member

Another Mark Shuey Fan Checks In?Competitions

Hi all-
    So I see we have another Canemasters fan in this thread- cool! YES, a Canemasters Cane (or any other walking stick you'd use) are the only "weapons" allowed thru security at major functions, on airplanes and past metal detectors.
    Question-does anyone know of any organizations that have MA sparring/grappling/forms for "disabled" martial artists? There sure don't seem to be in the NY Metro area-except I believe the Special Olympics that deal with those that are mentally challenged. Right now, I am just frustrated-something called the New York State Martial Arts Championships has a division of forms for children with disabilities, NOT adults. I may participate in 40+ weapons forms if my instructors feel I an ready. They are also concerned I wouldn't get a fair shake from the judges. Having never competed, I have no way of discerning this. But anyone with suggestions, please feel free.

Lord Bless all Canemaster

9. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Well I guess I have to jump in here. And let me start by saying that I can totally understand the folks who don't want a "Disabled Forum"
    I know where they are coming from,,,,,but I'm coming from there as well:jawdrop:
    I am a long term martial artists, I've done it from childhood and I'm now 53.............cutting to the chase I modelled myself on the kick boxer Bill Wallace, tried to learn all his moves.guess I did it too well ( he has had hip replacements).....and so have I, the first one 6 years ago the last one on 23/10/2008.same hip...however, My wife thinks I'm crazy..I won't stop, never:bang:.........on the last occasion I switched to Wing-Chun and Escrima, and I'm still there....can't do it for a while yet but I will.nothing wrong with my upper body, and maybe my lower body won't be so bad ( right now it looks like I've been chewed by a great white).....................I think somebody should start talking about the "Dangers of Martial arts".........my hip was down to over zealous training, the very best Jiu-Jitsu player I knowhad arthritis of the spine,,,,,,,,,,,,when he threw you it was like being taken by a gust of wind, but he could only do that on his "Good" days
    Sticks are great...........as are karambits and pieces of shiny steel:hat:

10. Lotti

Lotti New Member

What a great idea

Hi Lotti here.

I've just joined the site amd it pleases me to find this thread

I have had two heart operation and am now 100% pacemaker dependant.

I approached my TKD instructor wanting to know if I could even think about doing TKD.

He was more than happy to have me join and I have permission from the BTC to grade without sparring.

I do struggle to keep up with all the black belts in my class, but if I can not cope I stop. Simple as that.

It has given me a new lease on life and I love it. It's great excercise and I am learning how to defend myself safely.

Lotti

11. Satchoki

Satchoki Valued Member

This is a great idea. No other martial arts forums i've been to have a forum like this.

12. hkdstl

hkdstl Banned Banned

I got disbled while serving in the Marines. I have done the martial arts since childhood. I hate nothing more than some smart guy who can do dynamic kicking and has no problem doing back leg kicking acts a bit superior to the one who does have problems. However, here's the rub......Mr. Fantastic may kick fast but their chambering is not that good.

Plus it is amazing, there are so many people I have met along the way that have burned out. I am still here. Plus having the disabled martial arts section is the real reason why I joined the board.

13. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

parkinsons? coudl this help?

I am 46 yr odl woman who im april 2010 was diagnosed w/ early onset parkinsons..something totally out of left field...coincidently, this occured w/ in days of my having taken my 1st karate class..and fallling i love w/ it...Only judging by how i physcially feel since starting (its been 4 months) i think isshin ryu karate has had a profoundly positive effect on my phsycial health...a HUGE challenge...but..i also have a problem w/ my metabolism...phenyulketonuria..so this is nto without its challenges..but i wouldnt give it up for the world!

Just wanted to share that...

14. lolpuppy

lolpuppy New Member

Wing Chun? I have chronic fatigue right now, getting better though ^^
    Is this really tiring or is tai chi better?

15. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

Hi Yoda, Kickchick!

Im Baaack!
    I was in a car accident 3 yrs ago and am just now able to ride a bike and do slow exercises on land... I have been looking into another WC school too!

GOOOOOO Disabled MA"s!!

16. KungFuGrrrl

KungFuGrrrl Valued Member

I love both! I am only able to do modified anything so I say, try it and go for what inspires you!

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply from Yoda or Kickchick. :)

18. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Been looking for a forum like this. I had 13 kids with cancer that I was training. Had to move and I'm going to start another program for kids with cancer.

19. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Good for you....

Do you have to alter or create a different training syllabus?

20. oldgoat

oldgoat New Member

Each kid is unique in that you have to be aware of their situation. Some have ports, some wear masks and are prone to infections, some of these kids are on chemo and may be tired or nauseated. Stamina and balance problems have to be monitered. Their parents(who are very grateful) will let you know of any problems. One common trait is that everyone of them is a perfect student, completely dedicated and looking ahead to their next technique or belt, never even considering the dark side.

One boy about ten, Isaac, had a prosthetic leg above his knee. He ran and kicked and was super competitive. He once told me in all sincerity that if he ever got shot in his new leg he would just look at the shooter and laugh.

My mainstream students had to be disciplined, told to pay attention, etc. Not the cancer kids. They're already disciplined, tough minded kids and a pleasure to teach. They teach you.