A few questions about Ninjitsu

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Jjf88, Aug 18, 2008.

1. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

Garth said "so why did you not remember that is was the book Asian fighting Arts and not the encyclopedia britanica?"

I said "Because when I think of where I read that passage, even now when I visualise it, I see myself reading the Encyclopaedia Britannica. That is what I am linking it to even though I know now that it is not in the EB."

Then I used the 'taking a statement vs time' example to demonstrate how difficult it is to be 100% accurate over a period of time, and we are talking c20 years here.

I've already admitted that. I said if I was wrong I would hold my hands up and admit it and I did that a number of posts ago (yesterday 9:12am).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  2. garth

garth Valued Member

Marauder posted
    No I was a police officer.

No the statement does not become less accurate, the ability to remember the events in that statement does, thats why police officers take statements.

Now Neds atomic dustbin posted

Absolutely, and (marauder) you did make a statement of fact did you not?

You (Marauder) then posted

And thats why you have to be sure of the sources before you come onto the forum and start arguing with people over a source you think you remembered from 20 years ago.

Now you admit you were wrong and that took courage, now accept that you must be sure of your sources before you post in future. Let this be a lesson you can learn from.

Garth

3. Hissatsu

Hissatsu End of the Road: Moved On

And then, because you can't leave well enough alone - you make the following assertion / statement:

This tends to confirm what I have been saying and according to it, all you Bujinkan guys are nothing more than ninjutsu re-enactors or LARPers.

Which of course - is wrong (again). :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang: :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

You see - "all" will be difficult to prove. For example: I don't claim to be a ninja. So your statement (again) is wrong.

Do you see a trend (besides the trend of getting your ass handed to you on this sub-forum)?

-Daniel

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. garth

garth Valued Member

Come on Daniel, you could be accused of ratling that chain again.

Or is that chain your rattling a kusari fundo?

Garth

5. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

I thought I read in a post on MAP that you were a Police CSO or CPO or similar.

A statement taken at the time is more accurate than a statement of the same event taken 4 months later. Obviously the actual statement itself doesn't get less accurate but the memory of the witness/victim when taking the statement and consequently that information contained in the statement is less accurate. That is what I was alluding to.

I will cite sources and page numbers in future.

6. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

Daniel, I don't think you can leave well enough alone. I think being right all the time is just far too important to you.

But I don't really care what you do, say or think. You're just too much fun and you are always guaranteed to...

7. garth

garth Valued Member

Marauder posted

yes you see basing your opinions on what you thought you had read without checking the facts.

Anyone think this thread should be closed now?

Garth

8. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

I could go and find the post.

9. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

A point to make when posting on the internet: When you post you need to have proof. Second hand information is and can be proved wrong many times over. Making assumptions can also be wrong. Assuming you read from one book 22 years ago is no excuse saying that Fujita was the last ninja. Well he was of sorts. Fujita taught Koga Ryu. His line was from the Koga side of ninpo. This is claimed to have died out. The claim is wrong. Shoto Tanamura has ties to not only Koga through marriage but also Iga through marriage also. So the Genbukan is a link to both sides of the ninpo divide.

Fujita never taught ninpo. He taught Karate. Even though he was Koga, he did not teach it.

Another aspect is the people you will learn about on forums regarding Japanese history and weaponry. Mr. Weildman has studied for some years and is quite versed in this system. Garth has trained in Genbukan, Bujinkan and To Shin Do. Poryu has written a book on Japanese side of fighting and has produced a very good manual for kata. If you go onto Kutaki website you may get Don Roley who lives in Japan and has also researched the Iga/Koga lines of ninpo. George Kohler is Genbukan and knows more of the similarities in the systems. You will get to find others on the net who have done lots of research into the fighting system. They know more than you and more than me put together.

You can choose any forum and post on there from what you have posted on here and you may meet some of the people posting on the forums. But either way, they know more than anyone in the online community. So next time you decide to make a comment remember that there are people who will know a lot and will say that they have documentation or can go to the source of the system. Either way if it is then accept that you will be corrected a lot and hopefully you will learn something that is more up to date than some book 20+ years ago.

10. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

Yes, I have noticed that. To be quite honest, I am relatively new to this internet forum posting thing and I didn't realise I had to provide evidence to support my posts. I thought it is much more along the lines of general conversation.

Yes, he never did teach ninpo. Apparently the reasoning behind it is because he didn't believe he had met anyone worthy of it.

I don't doubt that there are people on here that are far more knowledgeable about ninjutsu than me. I do find it very interesting though. In my systems I am also very knowledgeable having been studyng since '81) and that experience with a variety of systems has lead me to have the points of view that I have about traditional martial arts.

I don't mind being corrected a lot. It's all part of the learning process and I've probably learnt more about ninjutsu since the start of this thread than I knew before.

Daniel's easy to wind up though. :cool:

11. garth

garth Valued Member

Marauder posted

If your talking about a post about me being a police CSO (Community Support Officer) you be my guest.

Because I have never posted any such thing.

Garth

12. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

The post I am taking about is in the thread "self defence vs normal training" and quoting from your post "My background in self defence is based on experience as a police officer, working as a CPO, door work and security."

Which I took to mean Police Officer working as a CPO. CPO meaning Community Police Officer, although i'm not too sure what a CPO is in the UK. My experience is from Aus.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  13. garth

garth Valued Member

CPO=Close Protection Officer or Bodyguard

NOT CSO

Garth

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

And in Scotland at least a Community police officer is and officer dedicated to a community area who does the beat, often on mountain bike more often on foot attends residents meetings, does school visits etc. Not some sort of auxiliary civilian helper. Maurauder you seem to have some difficulty differentiating reality from unreality, nothing wrong with being passionate about what you believe but don't let it make you clutch at straw men. Maybe count to 10 before you post? Or check back and make sure what you are posting coresponds with what actually was said or written and where.

15. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

So put yourself in our place then, how would YOU feel if one of us went to your forum and said the same things about your art/s, quoting spurious sources with no real back-up and starting in the same vein you did, i.e " i read about this art when i was a teenager and don't believe it exists" etc, how would YOU react to us, all of those that have responded to you are passionate about what they are studying, i myself have been training in the Bujinkan since 1982, i travel to Japan twice a year for MY training and i haven't seen anything yet that tells me i've made a mistake, i've seen plenty of idiots in our art and a lot of them are still there, and i bet you probably have them within what you study also.

You say you like winding Danny up but i would honestly listen to him, i know i do because he has a wealth of understanding both in this art and the others he studies.

Just my 2 cents.

16. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

I didn't once state that there was anything wrong with being a Community Police Officer. I just thought, in the context of how Garth wrote it, that is what he meant. It's not my problem if Garth's grammar was incorrect.

17. garth

garth Valued Member

Marauder posted
    How was my grammar incorrect?

Surely you mean that you did not know what CSO meant and jumped to conclusions about what you thought it meant.

Garth

18. Marauder

Marauder Valued Member

Garth, you said "...as a police office, working as a CPO". From reading it it reads that you were working as a CPO while in the Police. It should have read "working as a Police Officer, a CPO, etc." thereby creating a proper distinction between the two, unless you were actually working as a CPO while in the Police.

I'm not having a go at you and I didn't once state that that there was anything wrong with being a CSO, CPO or whatever. Different Police forces have different meanings for acronyms and close protection is normally dealt with by the private sector and not the Police. I am an ex-Police officer myself and CPO to me means Community Police Officer. A CSO to me means Community Support Officer. A bodyguard to me is known as a personal protection officer or PPO.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  19. garth

garth Valued Member

Marauder you posted
    No it does not. Only if I had posted

You then state to correct my grammar

Which is what it does say, note my quote you used

Your ignoring the commas in the writing to seperate the different jobs.

Garth

20. Shibari

Shibari New Member

Marauder, an important lesson in budo is to recognise defeat when it occurs. Time to tap out on this argument I think you'll agree. This isn't meant as an insult or a criticism, it's simply a statement of fact - you don't appear to have the reading comprehension skills and debating ability to engage in discussions without leaving yourself wide open to a ridiculous level of deserved criticism. Yes, people have a right to an opinion as you pointed out earlier but they also have to understand that expressing that opinion will bring a consequence in one form or another. In this case you are being pwned left right and center and it's time to LURK.SUM.MOAR :cool: