A drunk walks into your MA school...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by dori_kin_86, Jul 3, 2004.

1. Mark_Campbell

Mark_Campbell Valued Member

you will when your old enough :D

2. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

I believe Geoff Thompson would take the upper hand by using a pre-emptive beating to the head until the "assailant" was willing to be restrained :D

3. Commander Zigg

Commander Zigg New Member

About the whole to drink/not to drink thing, I think drinking is fine...when done in moderation. Once again, it's that "everything in moderation" argument. Contrary to popular belief, is IT possible to have a drink without getting drunk. You just need to have self control.

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

What's that again? :D

5. shaolin_hendrix

shaolin_hendrix Hooray for Zoidberg!

Let him observe the class unless he starts making trouble, in which case I'd politely show him the way out

6. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Don't you tell me what I will and won't do when I'm old enough. I happen to give a crap about messing up my reflexes or worse, getting assaulted when langered out of my mind and unable to fight back effectively because of banjaxed motor functions. I happen to be more self-disciplined than to fill my body with intoxicating poisons, even if the majority of adults aren't. I happen to have better things to do than to consume disgusting psychotropic filth, again, even if the majority of adults don't. So don't you give me that 'You will when you're older' malarkey, and don't act as if you know better than me because you are older. You don't. Just because a great number of young adults are such sleazy low-lives they have nothing better to do than get helplessly intoxicated dosn't mean I am like them. If you seriously believe that all young people are the same and that just because there are a lot of them who indulge in repulsive activities like the above means I too must become one of them, you are not as old psychologically as you are in years and you seriously should dispel notions like this one.

7. Mark_Campbell

touched a nerve :rolleyes:

I can barely see you, standing all the way up there on the moral high ground

twas a joke, even the psychologically developed get those from time to time

8. shotokanwarrior

Touched a nerve??? That comment hit right to the solar plexus (metaphorically) :)
    As for the moral high ground...you're good at sarcasm, so I've decided to spare your life, it would be a grievous waste to kill someone with such wit. *gets off him sheathing her sword as the adrenaline drains away*

9. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Say "Hi."

10. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Shotokan, you sound exactly like I did when I was younger. While I still don't drink much, I see nothing wrong with having a glass of champagne to toast Kru Tammy on earning her Thai Boxing instructorship.

11. Protein

Protein New Member

Back in my shotokan days, shame on me, I have gone to train drunk. Once. I've been drinking with my friends before class and got drunk. I didn't want to miss a class so I decided to go. Some students noticed, and sensei also noticed my lack of coordination. He asked if I was ok, and I told him I'm very tired. He seemed to believe it, but really I don't know he never mentioned it. Everething went fine, cause I don't really loose my self-contol when drunk(thank God), until the sparring. I did not really feel when I was hit. After training, while chatting in the changeing room, someone told me: 'Hey, where are your front teeth?'
    Luckily, my front two teeth was alredy false, so it was easy to replace them.

12. shotokanwarrior

In what way? Do you mean my one-liners, or my volatile nature?

13. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

You stick to your guns kitty-cat (sorry, lioness :D). At 16-years-old, I was working behind the bar at a local caravan park. Saw first-hand the effects of alcohol on a wide variety of visitors (mostly from NORTH of our border :D :D my first day of work was the start of Glasgow fortnight when hundreds came down to holiday in sunny Whitley Bay). I decided then that I did not want to end up that way. ;)

Keep your own mind, and don't be pushed into anything. In the future you will still be able to have a great time (with little or no drink), and also guide (or drive) people home, remember it the next day, and have loads of blackmail material against the people you were with. :eek:

I may be three times your age, but I'm still individual enough not to do things just because my peers do them.

14. Mark_Campbell

they didnt end up that way because they drunk alcohol, they ended up that way because they were poor, from inner city glasgow AND drunk alcohol.

what do i do if a drunk walks into my MA school, buy him a pint :D

15. tl Eric

tl Eric I think I'll have a Tab

Hah, if you think smoking will affect your MA check this clip of former grandmaster ip shui in 2000 (succeded by his son ip chee keung in 02) nearing at a spritely age of 89! :eek: I'm suprised he hasnt been snapped up by marlborough or someone.. ;)

http://www.chowgar.com.au/video3set.htm

Disclaimer (only slightly serious): the above comments are in no way representative of my opinions, feelings and attitudes towards smoking. Personally I dislike the habit/addiction or whatever you will. The aforementioned statement is intended to be humorous and the purpose if this paragraph is in the hope that no one will take my statements the wrong way and believe that I'm condoning smoking as a healthy part of any MA training :)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  16. tl Eric

tl Eric I think I'll have a Tab

Let me know what you think of it?

17. awakened nature

awakened nature chi or pins and needles?

Invite him to show true drunken style boxing!

(cant believe no ones made that joke yet!)

On the subject of drinking and smoking affecting people, heard stories about Kancho Sensei of aikido who smoked and drunk large amounts into his old age and still able to perform better than when he was younger...

...although i dont actually approve of smoking or binge drinking to an extent

18. Chelle2

Chelle2 New Member

My first class is tomorrow so I can't really say I have experienced this...but I would think that would not be good. Throughout my life my father has been an alcoholic and we have gotten calls from various places to "come and get him", not always a pleasant experience! If the drunk is really really drunk he would probably be obsessively talking and drunks do like to touch people, I think you'd have to kick him out, politely.

As for smoking, it is so so bad for your body. I don't understand why people do it, is it really that addictive?

But I must say...I absolutely love a good glass of wine before bed once or twice a week...and maybe a Kaluha on a Saturday night. BUT in moderation, of course. ;)

19. judoboxer

judoboxer New Member

most likely to show them the door. nicely.

20. Slimfast

Slimfast New Member

I doubt that would happen, because our dojo is pretty much under a bridge.