A different way to work out...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by SWEHurricane, Jun 19, 2007.

1. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

I would like to share a way of working out that has worked for me during the years, altough most people argue that it shouldn't.

Basically, here is how I used to work out. Note that during this time I didn't do any other type of training except running/jogging.

Instead of devoting an hour to workout, I used to spread my workout during the whole day. Begining with pushups and situps when I wake up, and then using every opportunity I have to do a set of bodyweight excercises.

If I was say watching tv alone, I would do a set of pushups during every break. Sitting in front of the computer, surfing the net and listening to music, I would do a set of pushups every second song.

I also had a several spots in the house where I had to do several pushups or pullups everytime I walked by. This turned into a kind of self-imposed OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) :rolleyes:

When I started doing this I was young and stupid...well younger... and "more stupider"...

But suprisingly it worked incredibly well, I was able to do about a hundred proper pushups as a 15 year old, and I got mucle mass and tone that was amazing for a person of my age. The only bad thing was that my shoulders got too big compared to the rest of my body, because I did a little too many pullups.

Has anyone here tried training in a similiar way? Or is there someone here that is interested in trying?

I am thinking about starting working out in the same way, and I'm basically wondering if there is some downside to this way of training that I haven't discovered yet?

2. Yuske Urameshi

Yuske Urameshi Valued Member

I actually think thats not to bad, and what I need to start doing. I always divide up my day into "Rahh! this is training time only!" and "roar! this is time for work/school/videogames"

But I feel if I do what you have listed, I will not hve to set a super strict scheduel I wont follow anyway, and everything will be a form of training!

Also, scientifically, your way should work because lets say to do 50 push-ups in a row then stop. Your muscles "counted the set of 50 as a warm up" and expected more, but got none and "went back to sleep". Sorry for the corny analogies! Lol. But if you do 50 the do something else lets say sit ups, the do 40 more push ups, the "first set-50" warmed you up, and the gains will come from "2nd set-40" that was counted as the actuall excersice. So if you did 50, the sit ups, 40 the punches, 20 then kicks, 10 then rest, you did a total of 120, and got the muscles to warm up, work out, and slowly cool down.

-Yusuke

3. tetsu ryu

tetsu ryu Death is always a option!

What you are taling about is a workout called "grease the groove," just google and you'll see what I'm talking about. I grease the groove every tuesday! :D >Waits for someone to crack a joke<

4. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Like Tetsu said, it's a theory called Grease the Groove. Pavel Tsatsouline has written alot about it, as has Mike Mahler. It's a great way to boost your max number of reps on bodyweight exercises if done correctly.

The only drawback to it is that, since it requires alot of volume (lots and lots of reps throughout the day), you'll have to trade-off of intensity (weight used). So it isn't the best for strength or power gains. It also isn't optimal for increasing muscle mass, also because of the reduced intensity and because it's relatively easy to overtrain.

5. Midnight Mist

Midnight Mist Valued Member

Cool idea. I think I'll try it.

6. flaming

flaming Valued Member

A downside would be a lack of variation as doing a lot of the same exercise would cause an imbalance. Which I think I got from doing pullups but no rows. As for increasing local muscular endurance (past 10 reps) I think tabata works the best, even though the first time you try tabata pullups you will be doing 2 or 3 reps in the last sets of 20 seconds. GTG can be good for strength but dont get carried away with the intensity.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2007
  7. SWEHurricane

SWEHurricane Valued Ninjer

Ok, good to know that more people have tried it. I'll google it and try to learn more.

I agree on the strenght and power part, because I have never been as strong as I have looked. But, I did gain significant mucle mass from this kind of training. But as you said, just because it works it dosen't mean it's the optimal way. I maybe could of gained more training in a different manner, but then I don't know if I would have the same motivation.

Hmm, I don't know really. When it comes to working out, there are so many different scientific theories that it makes me confused. I just try stuff out, and if it seems to work I go with it.

Yeah, I agree. Now I think that GTG probably works best combined with another routine, but then it's easy to overtrain, wich I did too at one point in my life and got really bad results. I guess I should be more careful in the future.

8. Terri63

Terri63 Valued Member

sounds good...

I woudl definitely be intrerested in that kidn of orking out...i ahve alot of time alone...and have been training for 1 1/2 yrs..donmt have the time or energy for a straight 1 hr workout...and then there's the privacy..that's a thing with me...

I'd lvoe to try it...

9. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Too. Much. Information. :bang:

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

http://www.dragondoor.com/shop-by-department/dvds/dv015/

It operates on the principle that strength is a skill and it gets easier the more you practice it.

It lacks "shock factor" but there is something to be said for slower gains - it reminds me of the story/apocryphal tale of the man who could carry a full size bull on his shoulders. When asked how he coud do this amazing feat he stated that he had picked it up and carried it every day since it was a calf

11. Rand86

... oh, the thread was started in 2007.

Hannibal, take heed - we have ourselves a zombie here!

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Holy crap!!! I must be slipping because i usually find these doucheweeds early on....*sips coffee*

ZOMBIE HEADSHOT!!!!

Non MAP friendly picture

Take that back to the grave, and take this thread with ya!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2012
  13. Rand86

Wow! You've killed it dead, and I do mean DEAD...

...crap. Now I have to find another one to play with. :(

14. pedodio

pedodio New Member

Frankly you should pay attention to a few things.

First your body knows only resistance, no matter where you get it from BW or Weights. You can do calisthenics and still be muscular like this man Hannibal. He is the king of calisthenics [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0yauyyv534"]_Hannibal For King_ New Video Just Released Strength_ Conditioning_ Abs.mp4 - YouTube[/ame] or as whatever you may say or call him

Second you should pay attention to the recovery and nutrition aspect of your training too. Beginners: 7 days a week, Intermediate: 5-6 Days and Advanced: 4days a week and 3 days active recovery.

Third pay attention to your Resistance Progression, which in short means increasing your resistance level and giving your body a REASON to grow.

On a last note: Do check the video out, get motivated and train like Hell on Calisthenics or BW for a year, and then beyond that start get HYBRID with your Training :)
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0yauyyv534"]_Hannibal For King_ New Video Just Released Strength_ Conditioning_ Abs.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]