A cut above the rest, a cut of other sorts...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Guerilla Fists, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Bruce Lee. The name evokes the image of taught sinewy muscles ripping through hordes of inferior assailants on the big screen. Not only was he recognized as a pioneering martial artist actor but also as an actual pioneer in martial arts. Even then he was lesser known as a philosopher whos views were congruent with those of Alan Watts.

From such a great mind would originate a thought such as, "Though a master may be defeated by a younger and stronger novice it will not hinder him from being an exemplery image among his peers."

Yet there is much speculation around the situation of his death. Some speculate that he abused cocaine- a drug that will turn on you as quickly as it turns you on.

I would like to dedicate this thread not to judging Mr. Lee nor condemning a speculated use of an ampheting. But rather I would like this to be an investigative thread to see what resources we could come up with for and against the postulation that Bruce died of a cocaine overdose, or even used the drug recreationaly.

I've come across this site that is worthwhile viewing...
    http://www.campusprogram.com/refere..._artists_who_died_of_drug_related_causes.html
    It's only a starting point.

Other action stars such as Jean Claude Van Dam have admitted to using cocaine and struggling with addiction, is it too far to postulate that our admired artist also succumbed to the seductive drug?

Intrigued,
    Guerilla Fists

2. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

It was a allergic reaction to a pain-killer, i wish people could let bruce r.i.p instead of making up more accusations its boring now and even if you do find out the truth whats the point, whats it going to change

3. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Kurt Cobain, sid vicious, all were subject to numerous drug problems. they've gone on, probably not to a better place, so why linger? Bruce Lee is no different. He was a great man in his art, a cut above the others, but whether he died from aspirin, jealous wife, a new magical disease, murder, government conspiracy, or whatever crap people come up with, the fact is... he's dead. Let us at least honour his memory by focusing on his life, not how he died. :Angel:

4. nunchukpaul

nunchukpaul Banned Banned

My thoughts exactly :rolleyes: :D

5. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Give the dead guy a break, before he returns from the dead and gives you one (a break that is)

6. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

I should expand on this....

I am not trying to slander Mr. Lee. But let's just say hypothetically that it turned out he did die from drug abuse.

What then? Well we could do research on a psychological level and figure out what it is about cocaine overdose and famous stars that is common. We could learn a lot about the circumstances that lead to addiction and possibly all benefit from this knowledge.

If you have no interest in participating in this then please don't accuse me of being a slanderer. Rather start your own thread in philosophy about why we shouldn't care if there is a pattern of cocaine overdose among celebrities and people who are seemingly very successful anyway.

I will continue with my search, feel free to join. Feel free to ignore. Either way don't twist my words and take things out of context. This is a purely educational endeavor.

7. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Bruce defintely was injesting Cannabis (in some form) and cortisone. He was also most likely taking some form of steroid. And over worked. As far as cocaine, I've never read any account of that mentioned as either a possible addition or cause of death.

Here's a good indepth analysis on possible causes:
    http://www.bruceandbrandon.info/indexfrm.php?name=/bruce/essay.html

I don't think Bruce had a death wish. I do think he was most likely addicted to pain killer's due to his back condition. It's also most likely that he overworked himself to a point that his body couldn't take any more.

- Matt

8. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

Ah, sorry if it looked like I was angry, GFists, just wanted to elaborate on ncpaul's point.

I'm not sure if Bruce was injecting cannabis, but I've yet to prove Matt wrong :D I always thought it was the aspirin that caused the reaction, and he got the massive headache from overworking. I just find it odd that he would so willingly use a prescription aspirin, as was mentioned on the Bio channel a couple days back.