A couple of stupid questions....

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Derrick, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Derrick

Derrick New Member

Oh no, I am not nervous of asking him, I just would not like to step outside of the bounds of what is acceptable. I think I mentioned before that my instructor is a very relaxed and soft spoken man (yet stern when need be), and he has a fantastic way with the smaller kids in class. He is actually in his mid fifties, and he never got into TKD until he turned 40 (so he gives me some hope!LOL). He has never once given me the impression that I shouldn't ask him something. From everyones answers it sounds like the main thing to apply is some commen respect and common sence.:D

2. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I agree with those who said that you should be able to ask questions. It would be stupid, if you weren't. I teach foreign languages and TKD. In a way it's the same job - teaching others. What would happen if my students (either in the classroom or in the dojo) wouldn't feel comfortable to ask me something???
    We all asked our instructor many things as well. Of course not during the training. There is always a certain time and place. He didn't mind answering our questions. And I have always paid a lot of attention to his answers, because he is a great master, great instructor and I really respect him.
    But don't ask him 50 questions every time you come to class. You can do some homework on your own. Kickhick has provided some good sites, so go for it and good luck.

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

As evil as it sounds, indoctrination goes on everyday everywhere... and proponents will tell you that it is for the good of the group.

I am the worst offender, being a Social Studies (Citizenship Education) teacher in high school. We mold students to behave correctly in school and in public. We train them to behave in school so as to maximize our time on task and to reduce discipline problems. We train them to behave in public to cut down on crime and to make things work easier (e.g. traffic rules).

In the dojang, we have a way of doing things. Some schools are more relaxed and some stricter. Why do we have rules and why do we "indoctrinate" students to follow them? Safety, Time Management, and Order.

Indoctrinating students does not have to be the process of making mindless zombies. By teaching them how we want them to behave (in class and public), we can them focus on the reason they are here: e.g. in the dojang to learn skills... not to socialize or play around. Indoctrination is a vital part of education (despite the negative connotations of the word 'indoctrination'.)

4. morphus

morphus Doobrey

If my students or spectators thought they would like to ask questions i'd like to think i was approachable. I have no problem answering questions at all.

5. VillageIdiot

VillageIdiot New Member

Kickhick. lol
    I'm gonna remember you said that....and I'm gonna use it in the future. rofl