A couple of stupid questions....

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Derrick, Oct 3, 2003.

1. Derrick

Derrick New Member

Sorry to be a bother, but after having attended classes for the last month, I would like to find a good sight that explains all of the specific terms and particularly the do's and don'ts of behaviour. My daughter and I have a very patient and nice instructor, but I find I would like to know a bit more background on the traditions and such than he has time to explain in the class.

Don't get me wrong, I have complaints, just want to do some homework on my own and thought there would be no better place to ask than here.:D

2. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

It would help if you stated what art you and your daughter are currently taking. Their are many different arts out there, and each have their own traditions in regards to behaviour.

For example, in the traditional arts of karate, there is the addressing of the instructor as Sensei, asstistant instructor as Sempai. If going on of off the matt/training area you have to bow. If your late for class wait for acknowlegement from your instructor before proceeding.

Other arts may be not as formal, but have their own set of standards that they adhere to. If your still new and unsure as to appropriate behaviour, ask others that have been there for sometime, I'm sure they can help you and your daughter out.

Good luck!

3. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

No such thing as a "stupid" question (unless you DON"T ask it!)...

Not sure of what "style" TKD you and your daughter are taking. but here is a start for you .

I can only applaud you for learning further outside of the dojang on your art... I only wished more people would do so. I believe I have learned far more outside our school (on history etc...etc)
    Being a member of a discussion forum such as MAP is genuinely a great start... not only do you learn from people who may be practicing the same style as you, but you also acquire an appreciation and an understanding of all martial arts.

I wish you both continued success!!

For starters here you go:
    TKD Terminology http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Stadium/5097/articles.html#forms
    Global TKD Network http://www.taekwon.net/english/body.asp
    TKD Tutor http://tkdtutor.com
    General TKD Info http://www.barrel.net/

4. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I found the internet to be the best source of info. Literally thousands of sites with terminology and historical information. Also the individual federations have sites. Or.........you could just ask kickchick, she knows everything I've heard......

5. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Don'ts
    -dont ask for your instructor's rank
    -dont bargan about tuition (say too much etc)
    -dont ask went you can be promoted
    -dont ever showoff in class
    -dont comment on your seniors technique
    -dont advertise about other style/school
    -dont ask if you can learn this or that (you will when you are ready)
    -dont ever ask your instructor to spar you (that is an insult, and will be accepted as a challenge) :D
    -dont train with messey uniform

DO's
    -Do greet your teacher first sight you see him when you enter
    -Let your teacher know when you leave
    -Do first, question later
    -Trust instructor like your parents (they will never ask you to do anything that you cant physcially perform)
    -Do help out the school whenever possible (cleaning, demo etc)
    -Do your homework kids (dont use martial art training as an excues not to do them)
    :eek:

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Who's telling you that??? ;)
    nah, just have a very loonnngggg list of bookmarks:D

..... Derrick is just asking for some good site references in which to learn more about TKD ... (terminology, history etc.....

As far as behaviour, Andy pretty much covered some "examples" (some I agree with and some are questionable.. IMO)
    Your instructor should have a copy somewhere of your school's Dojang ettiquette ... here is a copy of our school's

Last edited: Oct 3, 2003
  7. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I took this out of our Taekwondo handbook. I wrote it, taking a lot of it from a few sources and my ow experiences. Som epeople an schools may disagree with some points here but it will give you a good starting idea. This is what we expect at our school.

Tae Kwon Do Etiquette
    • Do your best to follow the tenets and principles of Tae Kwon Do.

• Treat everyone with respect and honesty.

• Do not provoke violence nor allow yourself to be provoked into violence.

• Refrain from criticizing or demeaning other martial arts or martial artists. Debate and discussion is encouraged but do not put others down.

• When we bow to people, we cup our hands at the side of the waist and bend from the waist at least 45 degrees forward, keeping our eyes averted. A shallow bow while looking in the eyes is considered a challenge and should only be used in competition, and then rarely.

Dojang Etiquette

• Bow to the dojang, to the flag, and to the instructors upon entering and leaving the dojang.

• Address all instructors as “sir” or “ma’am”.
    • Respect all other students and instructors. Obey senior belts and guide junior belts.

• Remain serious. Refrain from joking, laughing, and loud talking during class.

• Keep the dojang, your uniform, and the equipment clean and in good repair.

• Keep nails, hair, and jewelry from interfering with class.

• Refrain from eating during class time.

• Always remove your shoes upon entering the dojang.

• Always be on time. If you are late, kneel at the back of class until the instructor invites you to join.

• If you are going to miss class, be late, or leave early, make sure that you inform the instructors.

• Always allow seniors to sit before you.

8. Taeho

Taeho New Member

You can also check my TKD website: www.taekwondopalace.com

I started the site when I first started learning TKD, so it's got alot of info that first confused me.

Good luck!

TKDshane Ÿ

9. Derrick

Derrick New Member

Wow, thanks everyone!! Much more response than I had expected!

I can see I have some reading ahead of me!LOL

Shane, I will definately be checking that site out.
    Thomas, most of this sounds exactly what our instructor has said so far. You mentioned a couple that he hasn't brought up, so I'll just pay attention and make note as to what the more advanced students do with regard to these.
    Andy, I was going to ask my instructors rank, good thing I didn't!!LOL
    KickChick, I'll be book marking those sites as well! Thanks!
    Pacific, I have just started studying Tae Kwon Do. I am embarresed to say I have no idea which "style" it is, and must admit I didn't realise there were different ones. I know my instructor emphisises the sport aspect of it and has a couple of students trying out for the national team.

Thanks again everyone...now I better get reading!!:D

10. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Like I said..... I wasn't in total agreement with what Andy posted as far as do's and don'ts....

What is so wrong about asking what your instructor's qualifications are? I mean after all you should be able to ascertain what rank he is merely by looking down at his belt and counting the number of stripes he has designating how many "dans" he is. He might possibly have ranking in other arts also ... and that would be a fine thing to know that your own instructor does/did crosstrain.

11. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

As far as counting what rank he is by looking at the belt, you cant always tell. Is nice to be humble about your rank. I really hate it when people put strips on there belt. What does it matter what rank your are or your instructor? What matter is, do you think his teaching is worth it. Rank does not respent anything much at all. For example you have someone that live and train tkd in korean for 20 years and he have the oppertunity to test at kukiwon whenever he can, so he might end up with a 6th degree. Then you have someone that train tkd in hong kong and also have 20 years of experience, but he only go test in kukiwon every 5 years maybe he'll end up with a 4th degree. Does it make the first person better then the second? To correct my post. What I meant was dont ask your instructor's training experience. Rank is usually ok. Like by asking ''So... how long you been doing martial art etc...." stuff like that is a big no no. Beside your instructor rank is usually provided in the school web site or school ed. Rank is a responsibility not a privilege.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2003
  12. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

i don't agree i think you should feel you can ask your instructor pretty much anything its the best way to learn

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I agree - questions should be asked. Some of the "Rules" above make me think indoctrination rather than education.

14. stump

stump Supersub

Instructors should be fully open to question...but bear in mind there are times and places where this is appropriate.

Saying "why should I believe anything you say?" in the middle of a class may not be the best way to go about this :D

15. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Agreed - I was commenting on the WHAT not the WHERE or WHEN :D

16. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

A lot of people out there are looking for a good, legitimate MA school. And the only way they can find one is to ask.

I'm sure instructors will be more than happy to answer questions about his/her background, experiences, qualifications, history and traditions of the art/style being taught.

Just know when to ask your questions (usually before and after classes). Again, the inernet is a great source of information for some questions that are general in nature.

17. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

The one thing that I have noticed since I've been involved in discussion forums over the past 4 years is that I've noticed just how many people have come to post questions to the forum that they could easily have answered by their instructors.

Instructors (just like our teachers at school) love it when you ask questions.... it showsyour interest to learn and it makes your Instructor take more notice of you personally. Not too say you should inundate him/her with a slew of questions.... but those of importance especially as they pertain specifically to your school.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.... don't be intimidated by your instructor--y'know he was once a white belt too!:D

... and as with most anything, there is a time and place to ask!!;)

18. Taeho

Taeho New Member

If you are concerned about your instructors rank, but are affraid or feel uneasy asking him/her, I'm sure that you can quietly ask a fellow student. They would know, as it should be no secret.

IMHO, it shows no disrespect to inquire about your instructors credentials. Your paying good money for instruction. I would venture to say that your instructor would volunteer this information without your even having to ask him/her.

Our school uses belt lines to show rank, so you never have to ask ;)

On the other hand, your instructors skill and ability to teach well should be paramount, and over/above his/her "Rankings".

TKDshane Ÿ

19. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

"On the other hand, your instructors skill and ability to teach well should be paramount, and over/above his/her "Rankings".

Thank You TkdShane. You said what I was trying to say, but in better words. A teachers ability saids it all, you shouldnt have to ask what rank he is, but if you must go for it. Anyway there rank is usually posted in there office, or in the school some where.;)

20. Artikon

Artikon Advertise here ask me how

If you are afraid or uneasy about asking your instructor a question . . . they shouldn't be your instructor. You MUST trust your instructor to be open with you, and you should never be afraid to ask them a question. Like KC said, there are no stupid questions and if you are able to ask them something they have never been asked before that's gold. :D