A couple of brief clips

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Dan Bian, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Hi guys,
    Just shot these clips tonight. They're only form demo's, mainly so I can see how I'm coming along.

Taiji form: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0xf0p6KIZM"]YouTube[/ame]

Bagua Single Change Palm: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YFzK_anQg"]YouTube[/ame]

The Taiji form is a follow on from my previous clip taken 9 months ago. I'm fairly pleased with the progress so far.

As for the Bagua clip, well, I've only had 2 lessons so far, so I'm pleased I can remember that much :D

Comments welcome!

BT

2. Fire-quan

Fire-quan Banned Banned

Very good. I like the shades... very Matrix.

Only - you're not blind are you? Oops!

Nice movement - good control.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

nice J, keep up the good work.

4. Dan Bian

No, not blind lol. I just don't like having my eyes on camera. Makes me edgy :confused:

Thanks for the comments!

You too cloudhandz!

J

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Not my cup of tea... but big props for posting them up.

One a different level... something that might be of value to you is this. Get that vid cam on tripod. It's slightly sea sickening the watch the vids with the movement when you're trying to watch closely the form and movement your going through. A tripod will stabilize that and maybe give you a better vantage to judge where you're going with it all. Even the most basic tripod with the standard mount will work for most vid cams these days.:)

6. Dan Bian

Thanks for the comments, slip :)

I do have a tripod, but unfortunately it's currently living under my baby's cot, and she was in bed when I decided to pester my wife into recording these clips for me. :D

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Ah... wise choice... wise choice. :D

8. middleway

middleway Valued Member

nice work J,

After just a few lessons! Only advice i can give is to stay aware of the body and how it moves when you change and walk in the ba gua. Little loose at the moment but a great start mate.

Keep working hard!

Who you learning from ... looks very familier ;)

All the best

Chris

9. Dan Bian

Thanks for the comments Chris :)

Haha, I'm sure you can guess who is teaching me lol.

10. middleway

middleway Valued Member

lol ... yeh think i can.

keep up the hard work.

cheers
    Chris

11. Dan Bian

Cheers man, you keep it up too.

(Btw, loving the clips you've put up recently as well!)

12. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Hey Bailu-

if that's the "old Yang" form from Erle, it's not the same form he was promoting in the 80's as coming from his teacher who was a student of Y,Shao-hou,which he called the old Yang form at the time.Did he get this from the same teacher,or has he changed it over time?

on a technical note-you are noticeably coming up on your forward leg when you go into a front stance,increasing the rear angle in your forward knee.Maybe you're supposed to do that in that form,but as many folks do that without realizing it and aren't supposed to, I thought I'd mention it just in case.

nice clips.

13. Dan Bian

Hi El Medico,
    It's not the "Old Yang" from Erle Montague (sp?). I learned this from Alex Kozma, who I believe learned from Chen YuenSan (sp?). I think Middleway will have more infomation??

BT

14. middleway

middleway Valued Member

Hi all,

As i understand it this form a number of sources.

He jinghan of Taiwan who taught Alex old Yang of Yang Ban Hao

Serge Augier of Paris who taught alex General Li system and Old Yang System.

And Alex's primary Taiji Teacher, Chen yun San of Taiwan. Lineage master of a very rare style of Kunlun TaijiQuan.

I think all of this knowledge has come together into the Yang Form you see there. It is still very orthodox but has some intricacies from the various masters Alex has encountered and learnt from.

this is just my understanding of Alex' Taiji, i may be wrong.

All the best

Chris

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  15. Dan Bian

Thanks for the input, Chris! :)

16. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

:topic:

there's a clip of it online - see thread in tai chi forum that I'm about to post, if you'd like to refresh your memory that is..

17. Panzerhaust

Panzerhaust Banned Banned

I have a comment. While videos can be helpful, after two lessons they won't be :p. You're obviously learning but you need much more practice. When you learn any martial art there comes a point where you begin to just "sink into it" as my friend would say. No thought, just unconscious movement because you've done the form too many times to count.

Eddie can explain what I mean, it's for all martial arts on all levels of understanding :p:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eItCpULdLoE"]Eddie Bravo: Drills - YouTube[/ame]

ps. Practice your forms slowly (even if they're not "supposed" to be). Doing a form slowly once is like doing it ten times. You body learns the movements better.
    So do your forms so slowly it's agonizing and you want to blow your brains out and your legs are aching.

18. cheesypeas

cheesypeas Moved on

This is why it is important to teach the concept of 'body mind', which is different from doing it on 'autopilot' :)

19. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Amen to that! Doing my forms slowly helped speed up my recovery from a hernia! (Long story!)

20. wujibu

wujibu Valued Member

I don't know anything about Yang taiji so I won't comment on that.

Your bagua is good for only having two lessons so far.
    Quick question though, why don't you walk in the traditional way for Cheng style bagua (tang ni bu, or mud wading steps). Its really good for building the connection between your lower and upper body. You might want to ask your teacher about that.
    Anyways, I think it all looks really good so far! :)