A couple of articles!

Discussion in 'Silat' started by Gajah Silat, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

2. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Gajah Silat,

"Some of you guys might find them interesting :)"

Did you mean this in relation to the discussions on silat being a Islamic fighting art? If so, except for the Islamic part, I do agree fully with his stand on personal behaviour, respect, hormat, caring for other individuals etcetera. To my though this is, or should not be, limited to silat or any specific religion. Like Guru Jak Othman more or less wrote, silat and good teachers for that matter can be very heldpful in creating those skills :)

Hormat, Pekir

3. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

Hmm.
    Logically silat is not "the" indeginous arts of the Malay peoples, because there is no "one" version of silat. ;)
    If you seek to unify "silat" then you can unify all martial arts.
    Kung Fu (Gong fu) means (roughly) ke-ahlian or skill developed over time. Can be a gong-fu cook or a gong-fu gardener. Has no intrinsic meaning related to martial skills at all. As for Chinese systems ... they are as numerous as so called "silat" systems.

A belati is just a dagger. Some might have been made with three metals ... but this is the first time I've heard of it.
    Also never heard of any style that claims to be straight frmo Majapahit, could be wrong though. I met a man once who claimed to be over 100 years old and related to my family ... even had my father fooled for a while!
    And if you want a good standard belati I can recommend the Randal Model 1 fighting knife ... with the micarta pistol grip. Not as functional as the stock standard kukri, which is more of a small golok really ... in my opinion!

Salam

Last edited: Aug 13, 2006
  4. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

Pekir,

He's not saying silat is a Muslim art, just that it is predominantly taught by Muslim Guru :)

Kembang Alas

He seems to be saying the Pancasila Guyong Harimau Silat has it's roots in the Kedah Empire. I suppose it's a case of how far back can you go & find fighting techniques that resemble Silat. I'm sure all types have absorbed other elements and are maybe not quite as asli as we are led to believe ;)

Anyway, the Harimau Berantai Silat is a family style from Jawa that travelled to Malaysia with his family. We have an emphasis on pukulan & Kuncian.

Regarding the belati, I think it is more to do with the fact everyone has a common kitchen knife so there wasn't the need for more 'fancy' weapons. They may have had special knives forged for combat, who knows :rolleyes:

One thing I have noticed, is there is a common myth of the originators of many systems being taught by, or 'revealed' to them by a woman. This does seem to crop up again and again!

5. Pekir

Pekir Valued Member

Hormat Gajah Silat,

I took the freedom to Google his name after reading your suggested link and found some other articles, all of them interesting to read, but If you read the quote below you can understand I got on the wrong track somewhat.

http://jang_4.tripod.com/ujangf/silatf.htm
    "Silat is not only considered as martial art but a medium of discipline construction among the followers. Construction of personal values is focused on every individual to encourage brilliant and creative leader in all aspects concerning the community. Soul element in silat is based on teaching of Islam, which reveals the truth and not for victory. Every silat practice focus on Islamic rules for the welfare of individual characters."

I must admit that in some other articles it is more clear that he is not refering to all silat but certain styles. And be assured there is no debate on the fact that most styles in the greater Malay region have a Islamic foundation.

Sampai bertemu lagi
    Pekir