A carrying case for my 40 inch bokken

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Greetings!, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Greetings everyone,

Thanks to many of you for your recent helpful advice to me a few months ago guiding me to be able to purchase a nice wooden Bokken for myself, which measures 40 inches long.

At the time of my purchase of the Bokken, for whatever reason, I did not also purchase an accompanying carrying case for the Bokken. I am discovering now that it would be easier to transport and carry my Bokken with a carrying case.

Thus, I am now looking for some kind of Bokken/sword/weapon carrying case for my Bokken.

Some time ago I was given a gift card to use on Amazon. I did not purchase my Bokken from Amazon a few months ago, but rather from another merchant.

Anyway, I checked that I have a $17 balance remaining on my gift card for Amazon. Thus, rather than dishing out more money to the original merchant, who sold me my bokken, to purchase a Bokken carrying case, I would prefer to purchase a carrying case from Amazon.

Doing a search for carrying cases on Amazon, I see a broad range of prices. I observe that the “overall length” for these various carrying cases ranges from, say, about 33 inches to 42 inches.

You may think to express what may seem as the obvious to me, that is, since my Bokken measures 40 inches, therefore, I should purchase a carrying case at least 40 to 42 inches long. However, I guess that I am looking for a “loophole” here.

For example, one of the carrying cases I see that are at least 40 inches are:

42" Dojo Sword Carrying Bag for Katana Wakizashi Bokken Medium Medieval Sword
    by Munetoshi

The above sells for $24.98, which, after paying for shipping, would be well over my $17 gift card balance.

However, I also see on Amazon:

Full Size Nylon Carrying Case for Japanese Shinai Bokken Foam Swords and Cosplay Swords

The above sells for $6.71. Thus, after shipping cost, that would probably still be within my $17 gift card balance.

However, it states for this particular carrying case: “Overall Length: 33 Inches”

Please excuse my, what may be naïve question. The above carrying case is not long enough for my complete 40 inch bokken?

I guess that I am a little confused because within the title of the above carrying case, they refer to it as “Full Size” Nylon Carrying Case. Thus, I believe the vast majority of Bokkens being about 40 inches, therefore, they are inferring that this particular “Full Size” Nylon carrying case can accommodate my 40 inch Bokken. (?)

1. Do you think that if I purchase this, apparently, 33 inch long “Full Size Nylon Carrying Case” for my 40 inch bokken, I will be satisfied?

2. Do you possibly have other ideas on what kind of carrying case I should purchase on Amazon in order to carry around my 40 inch bokken, while still remaining within my $17 Amazon gift card balance?

Thank you very much.

The best to all,
    Greetings!

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Bokkens don't bend. You need a bag longer than 40 inches.
    Or, a big towel and some straps of your choice (either rope, or webbing with buckles). Roll it up, and attach the straps to the two ends.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

4. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I carry all of my gear in a fishing rod bag. but then I have spears and sticks and all sorts of fun toys. all fits neatly over the shoulder.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Cheapest option is a kung fu sash with the the stitching unpicked at one end and a foot or so of climbing type rope.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Or an old Aikido belt instead of the rope.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Hockey stick case out of Sports Direct? About £5

8. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Dear Aiki Mac, Dead Pool, Tom Bayley, Ben Gash CLF, and Chadderz,

I greatly appreciate the input from you all!

Thank you very much!

Take good care,
    Greetings!

9. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

When you say "carrying case" do you mean a bokken saya or a case for transporting the thing around?

10. Greetings!

Greetings! Valued Member

Hello matveimediaarts,

I thank you for your interest in my post.

I am interested in acquiring a case in order to be able to carry my bokken around with. For instance, I would like to be able to bicycle to my Aikido class with my bokken somehow hanging over my shoulder or body, like I have seen how other carrying cases allow, which would then still allow for my hands to be free to be able to grab and hold onto my bicycle handlebars as I pedal on down the road to class.

Take good care,
    Greetings!

"... At the time of my purchase of the Bokken, for whatever reason, I did not also purchase an accompanying carrying case for the Bokken. I am discovering now that it would be easier to transport and carry my Bokken with a carrying case.

Thus, I am now looking for some kind of Bokken/sword/weapon carrying case for my Bokken. ..."

11. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Natch. Ask your sensei if he has a relationship with a weapons designer or knows a good seller on amazon. My sensei can buy great weapons for me cheaply via a catalog he has. :hat: osu!

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

When I was in college I made myself a Leonardo costume, as in the ninja turtle with swords. This was for Halloween one year. My "shell" was cardboard. For the sword part I taped a paper-towel roll to the rear cardboard (for placement -- the tape prevented movement), but for weight support I ran string through the tube and over my shoulders. My bokken fit in the tube. That was its sheath. With a little practice and adjustment I could reach over my shoulder and pull it out just like a real ninja. And it survived the entire Halloween party.

The short of it: a paper-towel tube with string, looped over the shoulders like a duffel bag, will hold a bokken.

There you go. You'll look silly except at Halloween, but it will work. You just might have to replace the tube every few days, because cardboard isn't very durable against either string or wood.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

so what did you go for in the end?

14. hewho

hewho Valued Member

I've been using a soft guitar case, if you happen to have one round the house?