a book called english martial arts

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by ptkali778, Sep 23, 2004.

1. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

i just borrowed a book called English Martial arts by Terry Brown. anybody heard, seen or read this book before? it is a very interesting book. what caught my eye when i was browsing through it, was the broadsword technique, it has FMA elements in it, such as the payong/umbrella, snakey hand, tapping/checking with the live hand. so is it wrong to say that FMA has foreign influences, such as English sword?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Moved to where it WILL get the attention you seek :p

3. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

sorry wasnt sure...hehe

4. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Ive herad of the book Its on my list of books to get taht and the Codex Wallerstien and Silver's Paradoxes of Defence.

And about the smiilarites bewtween Broadsword and FMA...well there are only so many different ways you can hit some one with a sword/stcik and have it be effective.

5. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I'm waiting for Bob Cherone to finish his lang awaited interpetation of Floss Duelantum; that's gonna be in my shelves pretty soon after it's (finally) released :cool:

Amen. This is actually one of my favourite topics; that there are more that unites different martial arts than separates them. Take longsword vs. Katana for instance; loads of similar principles! I actually train students in Fiore longsword in a Musashi Dojo :love: This is truefully the kind of spirit I want to reside between different MA's; that we help and respect eachothers styles.:Angel: Very interresting to have katanastudents in my European Longswordclasses; to encounter their sceptisism and to see how their prejudices vs. european "lumps of steel" gradually wear off :D

6. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

hear hear. I used to try and emulate a kendo style fo my freestyle SCA training.....waaaaay before I even heard about WMA. Then once I got ONe of john clemet's books and sasw how much of it already knew I was pleased :D

7. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Hi PTKali,

It may not be wrong to say that filipino arts had influences from European fencing traditions, but it may be difficult to proove. I believe, personally, that there was a certain amount of influence from contemporary western arts. However all these points that you mention for your basis of comparison is present in many earlier ma from all over Europe. Again may be this supports the argument that there are only so many ways that things can be done effectively..... or that the European fencing traditions had already hopelessly polluted one another :).
    For instance I study early Italian MA from Fiore dei Liberi's MS's. If you look at the sword arts we see counter cutting, covering (including the use of the "umbrella" though more in a form of a cutting/slicing action), checking of the opponents hand, ties and binds against the weapon arm, destruction of the weapon arm, disarms, disarms using the hilt of the weapon etc etc, all things that I have seen in Fillipino MAs. However, I have also seen much the same from English MA, German MA and so on.......
    Please draw your own conclusions, but try to get along to some of the excellent seminars that arre being held around the world where people are showcasing some of the excellent work they have been doing with Historical European MA.

Regards
    Rob

8. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Stolenbjorn,

Bob's name is Charrone, and he is translating the Getty version of Fiore's texts known as Fior Battaglia. It is the Novati that is known as Flos Duellatorum, due to it having a Latin Introduction.

If you keep an eye on our website you will see a nice surprise in about a month or so, which may well help you.

Regards
    Rob

9. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Thanks! (I never was good with preciceness and detail -and this guy is fencing :rolleyes: )

Could you pleace drop a posting here when this little surprise is about to materialize? :Angel:

I've had the plessure to attend one of his week-end seminars (back in 2001, in Oslo) -and I like what he's doing.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  10. Rob Lovett

Rob Lovett Valued Member

Haha,

Yes, Bob is a good instructor from all that I have heard, and from the contact that I have had with him discussing certain elements of Fiore I muust admit that I admire and respect his work.

As to the surprise.... well I have been working with the three Fiore MS since 99/00 so maybe some of those fruits will start to be seen ...... ;)

Regards
    Rob

11. R Strausbaugh

R Strausbaugh One Mild and Lazy Guy

I suspect that if FMA had European influences, they would have come from Spanish fencing. But, as stated above, there was a lot of cross-cultural "borrowing", so who knows?

Randy Strausbaugh

12. ptkali778

ptkali778 Valued Member

thanks for all the reply guys, its good to know!