A belated introduction..

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Sweeet, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

Hey everybody,

Just in the way of an introduction - I'm just starting my training in MA, but that's only because I haven't been able to / had time to in the last couple years that I've held an interest. I'm starting in a Korean Martial Arts School - the main focus is on the Hapkido training, but the our Master really teaches us more of a hybrid of the 4 styles that he has a Dan rank in - Hapkido, Judo, Tae Kwon Do, and Kum Sul Do (weapons fighting, basically). However, I've read more material on the topic than many BB's probably have, so as far as technical knowledge and knowledge of styles, I'm fairly fluent. I do lots of sports, have competed in and won a couple triathlons, and such - so I'm quite fit. I'm 6'2 and fairly light. I was wondering if anyone has any advice for starting out or for training? MA has been one of my passions since long before I started training, and I doubt that it will wear out. To be quite honest, I don't really care about the color of my belt - I just want to learn as much as possible and train to the point that most if not all of the techniques that I learn are muscle memory. On a side note - the only other forum that I regularily post on is 'philosophyforums.com' where my handle is 'distortion'. Just a little insight into my personality. Any suggestions?

Sweeet.

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Hi Sweeet,

Great that you found and chose to join this forum. The members here are very proud of it, and the friendly open atmosphere it perpetuates.

Though we have differences of opinion about everything, we all share common ground in many things, not least our love of the MA.

I know I speak for everyone here in saying welcome to the forum, and I hope to know more about your art(s) while you learn about mine.

See ya on the boards.

Andy

3. Jack

Jack Valued Member

Welcome. :)

4. Spike

Spike New Member

Hey ho

5. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Welcome Sweet!

Quick question, how did you meet or locate this instructor and why is he or she teaching a hybrid art or a mixed art?

6. Sweeet

Sweeet Valued Member

I met this instructor by scouring the city for all the dojos, researching them all and checking out the ones that I could - and eventually came to the conclusion of the prefered style(s) of martial arts that I would prefer to learn if their was a good dojo that teaches them available to me. I also asked everyone I knew that knew anything about MA if they knew any good instructors/dojos - and wonder of wonder's - 'Park's Hapkido' was mentioned and I was amazed that it was so close to me yet I hadn't seen it advertised or in any listings (and I had searched thouroughly) it was the one Hapkido place within my reach - so of course, I went to check it out. Boy, was I lucky - the name had since been changed to generic 'Korean Martial Arts School' on the little sign, but the hidden little studio was easy enough to find and close to where I live. Really it is just luck, but it all fell into place - everything was reasonable, and the quality of instruction - by all measures is as far as I can tell at least - excellent. I don't really think Master Park teaches a 'hybrid' style - the primary focus is definitely on Hapkido - which is already an exceptionally well rounded art. However, since he has a 5th dan in *3* other Arts, (and certified too..I checked.. :p) Incorporated into the instruction are the finer points of Judo and some Tae Kwon Do and at higher levels, Kum Sul Do - which is kind of like an advanced weapons fighting art, as far as I know - (need to ask more about it). Apparently, all this makes for an very well rounded hybrid style (I would guess), and so far as I can tell the quality that it is taught at is excellent. The classes are small enough, that I get lots of personal attention - and are Master is commited to teaching us. The hours are flexible, it's open generally 5-9 all the time on weekdays, and I'm very happy overall as you may have noticed! Really, I think I must be very lucky. I personally don't care how long it takes me to lower the tint of my belt color, I'm just happy to be learning - and becoming profient at what I am learning.

From an instructors point of view - what do you think of all that?

Sweeet.

7. Thomas Vince

Thomas Vince New Member

Hey Sweet,
    I know Master Parks! He lives in Panther Valley New Jersey. If this guy is Young K. Parks he has a real interesting background and he is super guy!
    You made a great choice! Good Luck!