_Filipino Martial Culture_

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by E-Rocker, Sep 24, 2004.

1. E-Rocker

E-Rocker Valued Member

Has anyone read this book? If so, what are your opinions on it? I was browsing through it at the bookstore today, and it seemed to be well-researched and informative. If I remember right, the author's name is Wavey. I've got a birthday coming up; maybe I'll put it on my wish list.

2. Taliesin

Taliesin Valued Member

Filipino Martial Culture

The author is Mark.V.Wiley

I've read the book several times now and IMHO it offers a relatively factual, and well researched account of the FMA. The book covers:

i) historical aspects - from pre-history to the modern day, prior to reading this I was unaware of the British occupation of Manila in 1762

ii) cultural aspects - I found the topics of anting-antings / oraysons intriguing

iii) personalities - all are fascinating, but the account of Tatang Ilustrisimo was particularly impressive

iv) systems - a number of differing systems are introduced, but I felt that this area could have been covered in much greater depth (though I think that the author does this in another book)

In brief - it's not really a "how to" book, it's scope is much broader than that. It's well worth a read, and is definately one of my top 5 martial arts books.