9th kup grading soon

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by KidCanFight, Sep 9, 2005.

1. KidCanFight

KidCanFight good is not good enough

Hi, Im white belt, and on the 25th of September there is a grading and my instructor gave me a grading form so I am going.

What kinda stuff happens at gradings, what will I have to do to get my white belt with yellow tag, and How long do they usually go for?

BTW (This has nothing to do with TKD), people supposedly find my username offensive, so how would I go about changing it?

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Have to say I think it would be worth changing your username, it certainly made me do a double take. Just register a new name and pasword and stop using Holocaust.

On the subject of your grading, it depends on your instructor/association as to what you'll have to do. You'd be best asking at the club.

I can tell you what happens at a TAGB grading.

People are called out to marked positions on the floor, then give their name and grade. A senior black belt will then take them through the required floorwork, patterns etc for their grade. Depending on grade there may also be a requirement for set sparring of different kinds, more patterns, free sparring or even breaking.

How long the grading takes depends on how much there is to cover.

Main thing is don't stress about it; you're there to show what you can do, not for them to try and trip you up, so give it everything you've got!

Best of luck!
    Mitch

3. Handsup

Handsup New Member

hey,

I was a white belt not too long ago.

MY grading was nothing like i expected.

So my advice to you, ....EXPECT the unexpected.

In my grading I thought we would be tested on more stuff...like patterns and all...but that wasnt the case. I also got stomped on repetitively on my stomach as I lay down by our chief instructor, because i wasnt kiaping loud enough. And this was in FRONT of apprx....hm...50 people plus spectators, haha.

anyway ...just know your kicks, know whateva pattern u got taought, know punches, know the names of certain things like the READY stance, bow, and other general procedures like the front stance and stuff like that.

and do a lot of stretches ...its the ONLY thing i can recommend a beginer....thisis SO important....not enough people take this seriously.

ok dude....enjoi

4. KidCanFight

Thanks to the people that have posted.

I dont think I will register again. I will just PM a mod they might be able to change my name.

5. KidCanFight

Ok I PMed an admin to change my name

6. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

we can't tell you what your grading will consist of since we're not familiar with your instructor's program. but if he'll allow you to take the test, then you probably know all the stuff required to pass the grading.

do your best :)

7. Another Muay Thai Guy

Another Muay Thai Guy Valued member

Good luck (whatever your new name is). :D Just go over the stuff you've learned and you'll be fine. They're not going to test you on anything you don't know. :)

8. hux

hux ya, whatever.

exactly. The only thing I would add is:

relax.

9. julesgrant22

julesgrant22 New Member

i agree with everything thats been said.
    i took my 2nd grading last night and it went in the same sort of order just had a different person leading it.
    talk to your instructor if you are unsure of anything and dont be afraid to ask questions. my instructor prepared us pretty well for our first grading and we asked loads of questions so we had a good idea what we were going to. higher belts in your class are also another point of contact as they have already been to at least one if not many gradings themselves.
    like whats been said already - only your instructor has the answers for your particular grading.
    enjoy it - its your time to show the world what you can do!

10. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Every time I look at Master Rhee today I am going to think of you and grin from ear to ear :D

11. camouflagecat

camouflagecat Valued Member

Okay, I did this a little while ago, in the same boat as Jules as far as ranking. I did four direction punch, block, line drills, three step sparring without a partner. I also had a written test on knowledge. Most of it was sitting around waiting for the senior students to finish their testing. All together it took 4 hours for all ranks, which was mostly boring, but interesting to watch the break requirements.

My advice would be to look like you're enjoying yourself and it comes really freely. Level your punches by imagining you're hitting the judges, it's an amusing thought and you look focused.

12. KidCanFight

Hooray, thanks people who posted here!

I am now yellow belt. I went straight to 8th kup I think.

Im happy. Thanks guys!

13. Jamesy

Jamesy Valued Member

Well Done :)

14. Another Muay Thai Guy

Congrats! :) So you double-graded?

15. KidCanFight

Thanks guys.

I must have got double graded or something, im not sure.

16. Another Muay Thai Guy

Some organisations don't bother with a yellow-stripe belt IIRC. Maybe your's doesn't. Or maybe your organisation does have them and you just did really really good. Either way, well done!

17. KidCanFight

Thanks.

I dont think my organisation has them. My friends sister went straight to yellow belt.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

why don't you ask your instructor? it's as simple as that.