~*9(Cliche topic)9*~ [you're been warned] Fighting someone bigger than you...

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Yama Tombo, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

Do you feel size actually matters in a fight? Why or why not? And what do you feel contributes to winning the fight?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2003
  2. MichaelV

MichaelV New Member

Yes.

I consistently win wrestling matches with my 3-year-old.

3. Ara

Ara New Member

there are advantages to being taller, but if you know you arent the tallest person around you tend to fine tune your abilities to deal with those taller than you :)

i think ability and keeping your cool when dealing with a larger opponent are the keys, not being put off immediatley by the immediate disadvantage that has appeared on your side.

4. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Four words: Aim For The Balls

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

I am not fighting you Surging Shark. Darn short people :D

6. MuayThaiGuy

MuayThaiGuy New Member

Remember, it goes both ways. I'm 6'3" and usually have to train against smaller opponents. *Fear* the power of my extremely long-range downward angled punches. Be wary of knocking me out too, I might just fall on you. :)

7. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

When all else is equal, size wins out.

8. TenaciousD

TenaciousD New Member

Point is though, "all else" is never equal. Never has been in my experience. People vary considerably, strngth, height, weight, cardio-fitness, punching ability, kicking, standing clinch, takedowns, groundwork, etc.

Personally I like fighting larger opponents. They generally expect an easy win, and are usually suprised. Key to it is to take them down to the ground (IMHO).

9. Yama Tombo

Yama Tombo Valued Member

I found in a fight that tall people have longer reach, but the down to that if a short person "bobs in" as the tall person throws a punch they are likely to miss the target. But thats just what I see.

10. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I find that when fighting taller/bigger people the major obstacle isn't actually their size but getting over the pyschological reaction it creates eg. uh oh a bigger/stronger person... run away! Im average height but quite thin myself and Ive found that when I spar with bigger people I actually perform best when I can get past my natural inclination to stay away and get in as close as possible instead. This might have something to do with the style I practice being Wing Chun which is much more comfortable at close range fighting but I think its also got something to do with the fact that a bigger person usually isnt really expecting a smaller person to want to come in close.

11. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Size plays a massive part

More so with lover skill level people.

The big guy will often win as there is emotions (fear) etc invoved. When you get a level of skill and then the gulf becomes less and less.

Then you can beat people but could a bigger person win more often than not over an equal skilled fighter - not sure - just depends on the day.

12. Ein

Ein Guest

No you, there is this girl, and she is a 5th DAN. She is a teacher at some dojo. She is around 5 foot or something, I mean I'm about 5'10 and she about at my nipple line or rather. Anyway she is 35, and is a beast from hell. I mean nobody can hit her, like she just moves to fast. I mean she beat on 4 black belts and another teacher at once. I mean, is that even humain?

13. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Like I said - when there is skill involved

It evens it up.

Still depends on what style she does as a streetfight as we all know is different to a dojo sparring session.

What does she do?

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Of course size matters. Why do you think there are weight catagories in boxing, wrestling and kickboxing tournies?

But then in saying that, if you train hard enough, you can increase your skill level until it isn't really an issue.

For example, my Judo coach (4th Dan) weighs about 67 kg, I weigh about 100 kg. He he-man-bitchslaps my ass. This is an example of a skilled opponet defeating a bigger stronger opponent (one day..... one day I'll get 'im ;) ).

Col

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Along those lines, I once saw a historian talking about the martial arts on a TV program. Said historian stated that fundimentally, martial arts were developed to help smaller people beat bigger, stronger people. when I first hear that I rejected the notion, young as I was. Now older and wiser I think it's dead on.

- Matt

16. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I agree with freeform. Size does count all other things being equal. But confidence, skill, and speed really can change the odds in a small persons favor. PRACTICE

17. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Of course you agree with me!

I'm right! ;)

18. RubyMoon

RubyMoon New Member

19. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

I'm not THAT short =P

Anyway, I've found this maneuver most effective on big guys who try to perform grab/takedown moves. Since they're already using most of their weight to take me down, I might as well use my free limbs to strike one of the few targets left available to me =P

You should see the spar videos that I taped from my LBCC class...I always manage to sneak in a ball grab/strike, even on people that are already expecting me to do it. It's all about timing...and instinct =P