82 year old martial artist, amazing

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by CobraMaximus, Dec 11, 2004.

1. CobraMaximus

CobraMaximus Banned Banned

I read a thing about this 82 year old martial artist who stopped a lady being hassled in the street by some punks. He was a hgih grade in Kung Fu and Karate in his youth but is now darned old. When these guys started to hassle this lady he told them to stop it so they sniggered at this 82 year old 5'6 guy in front of them. He warned them again, stepping between them and the lady so one tried to push him aside only to find himself on the ground from a nifty sweep. Another tried it but had his shoulder joint wrenched and an elbow in his back. I thought I should post this cos this old guy has been in some papers and stuff purely because with minimal use of his feet he can put a lot of younguns on the deck with reletive ease.

2. Eero

Eero Valued Member

It is always fun to hear stories like this. They are good for motivation. Pretty serious senior.

3. CobraMaximus

Another brill one is the 40 year old priest whos church was being burgled so he rugby tackled the guy and used the wrestrling moves he had learnt in high school the restraint him while he called the police

4. NRees

NRees Taekwon-Do II Degree

It's amazing how MA can help people when they get older, I found the attached image of Gen.Choi doing a twisting kick at age 82. I'm 17 and I can't do one properly :bang:

Attached Files:

5. Eero

Eero Valued Member

I always love a priest with an attitude. I would love to hear his sermons. :D

6. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

82 yr old

Age is but a number...

7. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

Wow! 82 years old! I've nevr heard of anything like this. I hope I can be in half as good shape at their age! :D

8. CobraMaximus

There is this 80 year old Sikh who runs the london marathon and they did tests on him onyl to find out that his body is in the condition of a 50 year old and some of his bones are as good as a 20 year old guy

9. d33pthought

d33pthought New Member

There's a lot to be said for clean livin' these days. My dad plays golf with a guy who's 80 or so, and gets completely owned by him, despite being ten to twelve years younger.

10. Dojo

Dojo Shotokan fanatic

We've got here in Timisoara an old Ju Jitsu and Judo master who trains the POLICE. He's over 80 and needless to say moves like lightining. He usually goes to trips on the mountains and the others (way younger) can't keep up with him. I haven't had the honour of meeting him face to face, officially, but I think I've met him at a fitness hall. Great shape and strenght. I bpw to people like that and hope I'll be a devastating old lady :D

11. MarioBro

MarioBro Banned Banned

In our dojo we have an 89 year old lady who began TKD at the ripe young age of 80. She is now a 3rd Dan and still going. She teaches TKD at the senior center, and although she does not have the flexability of most, she has way, way more than any 89 year old I have ever seen!

I will try to find more details on her and post here. There have been a few articles on her written in Winnipeg papers and stories on local news channels.

EDIT:

Ok, here is the information. Her name is Jane Seal, and here is a link to a page with more information and an article on her (back when she was only 86).

Click on her name at this link to read about her:

http://www.seniorscope.com/spotlight_1.html

There is even a picture of her performing a board break via snap kick at our Dojo. Quite the lady! She is still teaching and is often at our Dojo at noon hour to teach her fellow retirees.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  12. Paul 100

Paul 100 New Member

Really thats pretty amazing Mario

13. add

add New Member

Iv'e seen the Grandamster of Gracie Jui-Jitsu beat his son up, and was 92!

14. tommy

tommy New Member

You think 40 is old!!!!! uggggh!!!

I feel stonger and faster at 43 than I did when I was 23...

15. Dr.Syn

Dr.Syn Valued Member

I too was in better shape at 40 than I was at 23...Now at 50 I am a little heavier but just as fast....I never thought I'd see 50...

16. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

A link to the story would be cool...

17. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

The Keeper of our Kung Fu style is a spry old 85-90 year old dude, and can do things I didn't even think possible by anyone, let alone a geriatric.

18. bedens67

bedens67 New Member

Greetings, sir...

Well, just look at it this way... Gen. Choi had a lot more practice under his belt... :)

Oh, and I'm 37 and can do a high section twist kick... And I'm also a 2nd dan... Just keep practicing! :)

- Bert in Springdale, Arkansas

19. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

I hope I can be in that good a shape at half that age!

20. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

You can but it takes ALOT of work! I can attest being a little more than half that age.

Thanks for sharing that account of that older woman at your school Mario .... I'm sure that'll be me one day!