802.11 over distance?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by StorDuff, May 9, 2004.

1. StorDuff

StorDuff adamantium

I have an 802.11b network in my house. I want to extend it to a building about 150 feet away, I've tried going up there, I get no signal. What do I need to do this, as cheaply as possible? Our house is standard wood/drywall, but the second building I want to extend internet to is made out of block and re inforced with steel (if that makes a difference?). Range doesn't really matter if it goes too far that is fine, I can encrypt it anyway, and my nearest neighbors are maybe 100 yards away. Do I need to buy some sort of outdoor antenna, or can I get some kind of signal booster? I'm completely lost and any help would be appreciated :eek:

2. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

these networks aren't very long range to be honest you may need to buy another wireless hub type device

3. acrawford

acrawford Ki-Ken-Tai no Ichi

You need to install a relay. Another wireless router or switch will do about halfway between. But I can't say this will work because the range depends upon the type of system you have.

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

We have 11g and it works fine when my daughter takes her laptop down the street to her friend's house - that's about 70m away (230 feet)

5. WhiteWizard

WhiteWizard Arctic Assasain

I know our department WLAN's range is about 100 metres max but the signal can get a bit flakey at range

6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Try placing your WAP/Router on the sill of a window that has a view to the other building.

Failing that, you may need a directional antenna. You can get some serious range out of 802.11b with one of those. Even a few miles!

Cheers. :)