8 year old MMA fighter

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Scarlet Mist, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I thought it was a joke, but this young cat has some serious talent and potential. It's good to see young kids being given solid martial arts training.
    Also "Make it rain" by Fat Joe and Lil' Wayne is played in the background. Hot song.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAoMhTPiVHA"]YouTube[/ame]

2. KempoFist

KempoFist Attention Whore

loved that video when I first saw it. I weep that I never got to start like that

3. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

Thats Brilliant. Not only is that guy pretty amazing for his age but when I tell idiots "There are 8 year olds that could kick your ass" I can actually mean it truthfully!

4. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

wow thats ace.

He seems to have some power too!...reminds me of 300!

...id take him though.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I wonder if the kid spends as much time reading as he does training?

6. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

I just hope the kid doesn't burn out and quit at 13 because football looks cool at the time. He could probably become a top name if he keeps doing what he's doing

7. slipthejab

It'd be good if the kid was allowed to make up his own mind eventually. If he likes football then so be it. If he choses to stick with MMA that's fine too.

8. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

yeh makes me wonder...

i remember watching that Tv program about that young kid bodybuilder...he didint have a childhood at all.

9. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

ok, now, let's not get that pessimistic :D

10. slipthejab

yeah it makes me wonder how much this isn't his dad living vicariously through his son.
    Don't get me wrong... I'm all for kids being fit... and training the way this kid obviously has is far better than getting buff thumbs from playing GameBoy all day long or getting stuck in front of the television... but at the same time I'd seen over the years far too many parents who did jack-fiddle-dee with their own lives and so they forced their kids to make up for that in little league baseball, pop warner football and everything else.

The kid is after all eight years old. He's got his entire life before him. Much of that will be an unknown and should remain and unknown. You can't cross your bridges until you get there. I just hope he gets time out to do things other kids do and that his parents teach him to read.

11. Lekta

Lekta Super-Valued Power Member

:D

Yes, the kid should be able to do whatever he wants with his life and he should make the choice about whether he wants to continue with MMA later in his life. He obviously has potential but it's his choice on what he wants to do, not anyone else's.

12. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

That also occured to me. I thought he might be spending the same time on MMA as kids normally spend on karate, ballet and other such activities. But he's good enough that it appears he may be spending too much time on training. Still, I doubt there is that much cause for concern, rock on, young man.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  13. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i really can't believe this. all of a sudden the kid ruined his future, can't read, write..... aren't you just a tiny little bit exhaggerating guys?

14. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

Hmm I see your point about the reading thing. However from just this small video we cannot really see a lot further than the fact that this small kid is very good for his age. Therefore we just have to perhaps theorize that this kid may be missing out on kid time or not learning to read or whatever, but we just don't know.

Incidently I think that this is not the same as that kid bodybuilder. He was constantly training, supplements etc, that was more well known as he made various appearances on live shows. So far all we have seen from the MMA kid is one video on YouTube by an obviously proud father.

Overall this kids life isn't over yet. Hopefully his parents won't push him out of learning to read or not being able to spend time with his friends. But we don't know.

15. KICKBOY

KICKBOY Valued Member

I think the young man has some good skills. I think he has also spent a lot of time sparing with someone who is larger and slower (he likes the kick when the other guy is trying to get up). I’m not saying that there is anything wrong with that but I think other 8 year olds are much quicker and flexible than his sparing partner.
    I do not want to sound judgmental as to how someone else raises their kids but I have the same concerns as slipthejab, reading, freedom to look at other sports and artistic expression. In total defense of this video as the father of a high ranked 10 year old martial artist there is not anything my kid liked better at 8 than a wrestling match with old dad, and as long as you are going to do it teach him the right way.
    I guess my biggest concern is that if you guys trash the house rolling Mom is going to be pretty mad.

16. slipthejab

lol... :D

I never said any of that... I merely suggested along the lines of it'd be nice if his parents gave as much attention to his reading and education as they have to his MMA training.

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

hehehe and that was my point. how do you know they don't?

18. JEEPEE

JEEPEE Valued Member

This kid is clearly "conditioned" to be what some "grown ups" have desided he will be.
    His own mind is of no importence.
    i know,i'm puthing it hard here,but i have seen examples like this before,it happend in the past,it still happens !!!!!

19. slipthejab

I didn't say they don't. I said I hope they do. ;)