6 Types of Athiesm

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Thomas, Jul 24, 2013.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

How many people can you fit in your room? This could cost you a lot in ice cream...

2. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Oh, you mortal, don't you know 'tis a Dogma of Faith? Allmighty me will not bother with such materialistic sins of true money and ice creams, but will give you the only true ice cream that transcends matter and is therefore twice as worth (Yes, it's the holy immaginary ice cream!).
    Really, there can never enough people to clean my room. :jester:

3. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

This made me laugh :p

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

But surely your also an atheist towards Baal, Allah, Zeus and Thor?

5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

What is the name of the religion of somebody who praises Zues and the other greek gods?

6. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mitchism. :D

Edit. Mitchianity.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Dead_pool

Hellenismos, Dodekatheism, Olympianism (which may also include mitchism)

Theres even forums, http://www.hellenismos.us/

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

You spelled "religion" wrong.

9. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

but his church is the Church of the Latter Day Dude.

10. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

ahhh, come on man... they all know i'm just poking fun at them for our histories of religious debates.

11. Saved_in_Blood

No, I've seen Thor on comic books and in the movies!

12. Zinowor

Zinowor Moved on

I suppose I would be a seeker-agnostic. However, through my seeker-agnostic way of thinking I came to a conclusion of my own. This conclusion that I came to I later found out that it was very similar to Spinozism. So at that point I figured I was a Spinoz(ist?). I haven't actually done all the homework, because the nuances of it can get a little tedious, but for now I'm stuck at this one.

Also, isn't atheist short for anti-theist? :confused:

I can't talk about religion anymore when there are believers around. It gets me heated up and I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I would discuss my views at length with other atheists and the like, but this is a public forum so it's not a good place to start my rantings.

I will say this however. I feel like people should be free to believe in anything supernatural they want. Just leave other people out of it. Making other people believe in what you believe sounds like you want to confirm your own belief by convincing others of the same thing.

And btw, there is a reason why new atheists can get a little bitter at times. Because becoming an atheist means embracing the fact that our world stops at death, there is nothing beyond it and nothing above or beneath it. Death is game over. So when you believe in nothing and you see a bunch of people being (in your point of view) happily ignorant about death and believing in an afterlife and whatnot, it makes you realize that it's easier to go through life being (in your point of view) ignorant and just simply believe in a fatherly god and a heavenly afterlife.

This is my most suppressed post about this topic that I could muster, I still couldn't resist to rant just a little. I hope the mods are okay with this much. :heart:

13. Saved_in_Blood

I am curious actually, and this is not because of my religion, but what makes one come to the conclusion that they don't believe in a supreme being? Is it just based on what you've read? A guess perhaps? Faith in a way maybe?

14. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

When I was about 8 I realized that the only reason my teachers told me about the bible was because they were told it was true when they were kids. Like an epic game of Chinese whispers throughout the generations (with people getting very angry if they think someone else heard it wrong).

Then, later in life, I investigated the roots and limits of belief through meditation and related practices. This taught me firsthand how we can make anything "real" to ourselves if we invest enough belief in it.

If you look at the idea of a supreme being objectively, there is no compelling evidence to believe in one, and there is a lot of compelling evidence to suggest a supreme being does not exist. It doesn't take faith to acknowledge a null result.

15. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Death isn't really game over though. Your atoms ect... go on for eons. I think that is kind of cool.

16. Dead_pool

Lack of evidence, and circular reasoning made me question from an early age.

For many atheists, science replaces faith.

17. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

Not to mention that parts of you will keep living through those nice worms and alike you're going to feed :cool:
    The very last good action, I suppose.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  18. Dead_pool

Dont forget the repucussions of your actions, both good and bad spreading like ripples in a pond accross the ages.

19. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Actually for me it was pretty easy. I don't believe in god for the same reason I don't believe in santa claus.

There aren't any facts to support the existence of either.

Doesn't mean they don't exist but after thousands of years of millions of people looking for facts that god exists and not finding any I would say the odds of god existing is so close to zero as to not make any difference.

20. Dead_pool

Wait one second, who exactly was it buying me the toys I asked my parents for then??

If santa doesnt exist, why does the most successful soft drink company use him in there adverts, Big buisnesses dont lie........ Do they?