6 second abs???

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by tom pain, Nov 12, 2004.

1. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Short answer?
    No.

3. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Ok, fine, but can you jusify your answer with reasons? That is what I really want to know.

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Perhaps we should link this thread with this one ... http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23066

Seems to me .... this is nothing more than a silly marketing gimmick by a firm that wants to sell you a product that costs a good bit of money for something that you can do for free.

"6 seconds" does not mean instantaneous good results with a 6-second work out. Six seconds refers to the duration of each "rep" (repetition). When you use the ab machine, you count 1-2-3 seconds as you crunch down, and then 1-2-3 seconds as you lift up. You do the same with the strength exercises using the bands. For instance, to work biceps it is 1-2-3 (pull up) 1-2-3 (ease down). By maintaining this slow rate, you force the muscles to work harder.

There are a few reviews that I have read on the net and most of them are unfavorable. Suppossedly this "6 second ab" device tells you that you are doing a proper crunch by the number of clicks,... people seemed to feel more "burn" in their arms than abdominals and it hurt their thighs to have the machine pressing against them.

5. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

There is not an "easy" way to get nice looking abs. It takes a lot of patience, work, and nutrition. If one machine could take care of the abs and that was that...everyone would have one and we'd all be walking around with a sculpted midsection.

6. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

true dat.
    -TkdWarrior-

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

In the words of Pavel - "Forgot crunches. They belong on the junk pile of History, next to communism".

Everybody has a six pack...it just takes low bodyfat to show it. That gimmick thing is misleading.

8. wolfen

wolfen Valued Member

I agree with maverick on the usefullness of machines. I get a better burn from carefully peforming repetitions on a mat than with the aid of machines. Hence, when at the gym, find a nice padded mat in the floor exercise area and throw the "toys" to the other side of the room. The other advantage of using technique is avoiding over-isolating the muscle group as is the danger with machines. Ab workouts are all about the stabiliser muscle groups rather than just the rectus abdominus :cool:

9. HelpMehPlz

HelpMehPlz New Member

This reminds me of all the "Ab-belt" scams that were "seen on TV" also. :lol:

The thing is, I bet that is fake, just like everything else. Honestly, I don't think you need any kind of machine or equipment to get good abs. All you need is time, perserverence, patience, and maybe an exercise mat too. :D

10. blessed_samurai

Are you referring to the belt that sends electric current to stimulate your abs while in the comfort of sitting on the couch? Let me tell you...there is NOTHING comfortable about that horrible thing.

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I do believe he means the "usefullness" of crunches....

... but as martial artists, some of us do not train the abs for a 2-4-or 6 pack for looking good but to condition our core muscle area for performing good.

12. blessed_samurai

This is true, KC. However, after intense training, my core can now handle two six packs and a pint! :D

13. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Personally I think the world of profit has simply made machines and gadgets to make ab work seem easier. The ones where you sit in a chair look more comfortable and you don’t get down on the floor. In my opinion just do a regular crunch workout and spend the money on a gym membership.

Gruhn

14. HelpMehPlz

HelpMehPlz New Member

Exactly. My dad bought one (for cheaper though, maybe because there was something wrong with it), and he tried it once. He had to use some "conducting gel" for it to work. But he stopped fortunately before it could do any harm or whatever. I never used it, and I am glad I didn't. I just felt it with my finger, and it shocked me instantly. Damn people have to start making products that actually benefit the world, not just to profit off fake merchandise. I'm glad they got sued IIRC.

15. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

It would be good if it cost under 7 bucks, at the store its 60 dollars!

16. Apotheosis

Apotheosis Valued Member

Crunches are useless:) ok maybe not useless but there are some better ab exercises out there. Here is a helpful site.http://exercise.about.com/cs/abs/l/aa100801a.htm

Also, cardio is the key to 6-packs obviously, so get on your running shoes:)

17. Endless

Endless Valued Member

And losing fat....If you have high body fat level then you won't have a 6-pack because it will be hidden by fat. You can have all the muscle in the world but you need to drop fat level for them to appear....

18. HelpMehPlz

HelpMehPlz New Member

I can never do the bicycle manuever one. They say it's one of the most effective, but I don't feel burn on my abs.

19. Maverick

Maverick New Member

That doesn't necessarily mean it's not working ;)

20. Shortfuse

Shortfuse King of Hearts

my cousin is thinking about geting it, i really really think that would be a big waste of money at 60 bucks, but oh well. his present