5th Korean HKD Open

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by klaasb, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

I can live with that :)

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Without headshots, knockdown between two people of equal power tends to gravitate towards that.
    Why I think sparring formats should be varied and changed to test different things.

3. mrmg06

mrmg06 Valued Member

It's not quite "knockdown" then. It's sorta like watching "rock'em sock'em robots"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHMr--MkJOI"]‪Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots - 1965 Toy Commercial‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

4. Killa_Gorillas

In all fairness much of the knockdown I've seen involves a lot of trading body shots and low line kicks until someone crumbles, gets swept or gets head-kicked-TFO.:dunno:

EDIT - that 'rock em sock em robots' reminds me more of chunners doing chi sau :p

5. mrmg06

mrmg06 Valued Member

Like this

FF to 0:39
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOouHofm30g"]‪Kyokushinkai Knockdown Highlights‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

6. Killa_Gorillas

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The clue is in the word "highlights".
    5 minutes of body shots and leg kicks followed by a judges decision does not a highlight make. :)
    Although when I was at the BKK's last year I was surprised at how many bouts ended with a KO (body shot or head shot).

8. mrmg06

mrmg06 Valued Member

Well, I really wasn't trying to make point. I just thought watching people crumble after a body shot was pretty cool and wanted to share :)

Anywho, since this thread has kind of run its course and you did mention wing chun I thought I would share a favorite of mine

I would FF to about :29 to get past some pretty terrible training. Enjoy!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QH13kYFzfFk"]‪Kyokushin Karate vs Wing Chun‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

9. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

Ok...I can appreciate whats being said. I can also say that I have been on the receiving end of much of that stuff. Yes, its a lot more "shock-&-awe" to see someone feint one way and clock a guy with a spinning roundhouse. Thing is that I tend to chalk that up to luck. The guys I have really come to respect are the ones who tough-out match after match--day after day until they make it through the qualifiers to the finals----and then keep going. After that first day the body is one big bruise and to get up, get dressed and let somebody bang away on that "body bruise" and keep going is something I think the audience may be overlooking. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

10. mrmg06

mrmg06 Valued Member

What exactly is a "fan" wristlock?

11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I got a few taps in BJJ with wrist locks.
    Any time I got a figure four grip on an arm I'd be looking to slip the hand on the wrist down to the back of the hand and go for the wrist.
    Wrist locks aren't common so sometimes they catch people out because they are defending the armbar.

12. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Kotegashi

13. mrmg06

mrmg06 Valued Member

thanks

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

the main issue with standing small joint locks is getting the limb control to get the elbow away from the body so that the 'fan' has power. if you can do that its great, but safety wise you have to tone it down more then if you were wrestling for takedowns, and the more you tone it down, the more the 'fall down Im a blackbelt effect' kicks in.

In the past ive done a freestyle little push hands/chin na with some CMA guys who knew me as being a dan grade in another style, who had never done any real freestyle work, it took a good half an hour for some of them to realise its ok the beat me. on the other hand one of them shot straight in and tryed to take my wrists off like it was life of death, neither approaches were conducive to good inteligent freestyle work.