5th Korean HKD Open

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by klaasb, Jul 25, 2011.

1. klaasb

klaasb ....

Last weekend the 5th edition of the Korean HKD Open took place in the city of Yong-in, South-Korea. Organization of the event was in the hands of the International HKD Federation (IHF). I have uploaded a couple of videos of this event, thought other people might be interested as well.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvI2N8CJX70"]‪‎5th Korea Open HKD Martial Arts Competition 2011.07.24‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoHpO7m-5dc"]‪‎5th Korea Open HKD Martial Arts Competition 2011.07.24‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwwhpE8TO8"]‪‎5th Korea Open HKD Martial Arts Competition 2011.07.24‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

did they do anything other than especially crappy complient demos at this HKD open?

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I like their pantaloons.

4. klaasb

klaasb ....

@Killa_Gorillas although it is beyond me why you have to used the term 'crappy' the answer to your question is 'yes'.
    There were also group demonstrations and a sparring competition.

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

what's the sparring look like?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Because they are scripted, unrealistic, won't actually work and have no combative energy.
    The one with the sword would probably get you killed quicker than just letting the guy hit you with it.
    Because they are from the "grab my wrist and then there'll be hell to pay" school of martial arts demo.
    Because they start from a very exaggerated distance that you'll hardly ever get in a real fight rendering everything thereafter as purely academic.

They are why I'd call them crappy.
    Perhaps Killa has different reasons?

7. Giovanni

i'm wondering what the "competition" part is. do you get graded on arbitrary stylistic points?

8. Killa_Gorillas

It's because HKD killed my family... either that or EXACTLY what you said.

9. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Yes. Like forms.

Also, for what it's worth this particular hapkido org has moved toeards a much more "aikido-like" interpretation of techniques.

10. mrmg06

mrmg06 Valued Member

Alot gentler than what I expect from HKD

11. Convergencezone

It looks a lot like TKD with sweeps and throws.

12. Giovanni

i noticed that too. i was attributing that to the performance aspect, instead of the organization. good to know though.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  13. Giovanni

i'm generally with you with where you're coming from regarding pressure-testing, competition, etc. but you don't have to be a jerk about it. people do martial arts styles for their own reason(s). it's not up to you to "enlighten" anyone.

love, giovanni

14. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Nice demos. Footwork and breakfalls looked very good.

When I watch these, I see them as "demonstrations" of what the art contains. Watching students of various levels show off their footwork, falling, and basic techniques is fun. Then again, I like watching pattern (poomsae) demonstrations as well. No one is out there saying these demonstrations are the end-all be-all nut-rideable ultimate self defense program. I watch them and see people having fun and training with other people having fun while performing techniques under certain conditions.

Constructive criticism is good... but I also agree with the previous poster who said that it can be done without being a "jerk" about it. We're mostly all adults here.

On a side note, I was a member of this federation (IHF) back a few years ago and the training was very good. Yes, we did compliant drills like in the videos above and we also did tons of breakfalls and footwork drills. We also sparred regularly with fairly open rules (Light to medium contact (no pads) with options of strikes, kicks, throws, locks,etc). My instructor did a lot of sparring competition - in his area there were regional Hapkido sparring tournaments. I haven't done a lot of the "Hankido" but I enjoyed the IHF Hapkido a lot.

15. Killa_Gorillas

The demos suck and I call a spade a spade. Basically I'm not going to appologise for being frank in my reaction to it.

If we are all adults then we can accept peoples' opinions for what they are without crying like a bunch of prissy PC girls because we think that they are - heaven forbid - rude.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

You could learn a thing or two about respect by taking a few classes in Hapkido my friend.

17. Killa_Gorillas

At the cost of my self respect no doubt...

18. Thomas

I don't think anyone was looking for an apology. It's ironic that you use the "crying like a bunch of prissy girls..." line to express your being upset over being called on your comments.

So, now why is it that you think the "demos suck"?

Can you link us to some demos/videos from your chosen art(s) that are better?

Do you feel you have the answers to what martial arts should be and why the ones presented in the demos are not "correct"?

Has your path led you to the ultimate levels (or at least higher levels) of your own art and how has that success made you a better person and/or martial artist?

By the way, what is it you do for martial arts and how long have you been training?

Edit -(Your profile says BJJ and Kung Fu - what rank do you hold and who do you train under?)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  19. Thomas

I am not sure what the intention of the demos posted are, but my best guess is that they are a means for students of all ages and levels to show off material they are learning in a format that can be easily judged.

Can you post some videos/demos from your own art (is it Shidokan) that you would consider representational of the art as well as "better" than the ones posted here?

I honestly would love to see some Shidokan karate videos that demonstrate unscripted, realistic (actually working) with combative energy (I think your words were).

20. Convergencezone

Thomas, perhaps you were waitinig for something like this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjN7XZ90WrA"]‪shindokan karate show ashdod 2008‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry, PASmith - I just couldn't resist:) (and for what it's worth, I think these guys did a great job on their DEMO)