540s,360,... What?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Intan86, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

Hi,fellow TKD practitioners.

I realise there's a lot of these type of kicks in TKD(WTF) that I never heard of. :confused: Actually, I didn't know what a 540 looks like untill I visit Helm's website (www.flipage.com) but I was unable to download the 360. I don't even know what a spinning wheel kick,etc. Anyway, does these type of kicks really works?

Sometimes when I read your(all the TKDist)post, I kind of find myself 'lost' because I don't know what kicks are you guys reffering to? I'm a TKD fighter and I never heard of these kicks before. Maybe my Master just want his students to do the basics ermm...perfect. You know, because basics are v. important to advance. Maybe you guys can show me types of kick like the 540...Why is it called the 540? :confused: I think I'm getting myself confused. Oh, and why is the kicks are named with numbers? **headache**

Intan :Angel:

....~the 360s,540s,spinning that, spinning this,...*headache*. :(

2. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

It's the rotation and circles or how could I put it or like spinning and it's like in degrees and I'm talking about the rotation degrees.

3. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

they usually don't teach the 540s and the 720s and sometimes even the 360s except for demonstration team members
    and yep, they're numbered by degrees
    like a 540 is a 540 degree turn then a kick

4. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Yes it's rotation degrees... and yes they are taught at advanced levels.
    ITF'ers also learn these types of kicks for demonstration purposes...

Good site for you Intan86
    oX Pasture Martial Arts Page

... go to the drop down menu on left "What is a?"

5. Helm

Helm New Member

6. Daisuke

Daisuke New Member

so do wtf practitioners (korean tigers anyone?)

if you want to learn how to do a 540 (among many other extreme martial arts tricks) then go visit http://www.trickstutorials.com

upon entering the site, click on "tutorials" on the bar to the left and choose "tricks". a list of tutorials for different advanced moves will be shown. just click on what you'd like to learn (like the 540).
    great site, i recomend looking around :D

and no. tricks are not usefull in combat. well i did land a 540 on someones head once but it was more of an accident lol :p

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I'm fully aware of that Daisuke... it is just that Intan only inferred that WTf'ers were the only ones that performed such kicks :rolleyes:

Yet another site to surf through....Martial Art Trickz

Check out also a great video by Turtle Press.com called "Aero Kicks"

Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  8. enlwlffo

enlwlffo New Member

i got that video a while back
    lol
    its....hmmmm....
    very slow moving and frustrating when u see the same kick performed 100 times in a row
    they just play a clip over and over and over and over until u pull your hair out

also, these kicks are very powerful
    i set up a guy for a kick and landed a 540 on his jaw and shattered it
    it was almost a 5 on 1 situation but all his friends backed off after that one kick
    also, in sparring i have used butterfly kick and knocked someone out

9. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

i have never heard of 540's or 360's but there this one boy named derek whos a black belt gonna be a second dan in april and when he does board breaking or something he jumps up in the air and does 1 rotation in the air and breaks the board by kicking it and also i seen him do more than 1 just rotation i seen more. i dont know if thats something to do with a 540 or 360 ot wutever just felt like sharing that.

10. Guy Mendiola

Guy Mendiola New Member

Yeah, Some blackbelts can do those type of kicks but it takes a lot of practice to perfect the move really well.

11. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

I've seen some of the vids. It looks really hard. What if I couldn't jump high enough? What can I do?

12. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Plyometrics!

13. HitNRun

HitNRun New Member

Practice low, practice medium, then finally practice high. Set yourself a goal and practice until you can do it.

14. Din

Din 3rd dan

its how many degrees you turn before you execute the kick.. one complete rotation is 360. so 540 will be one and a half rotation or spins. im cure you have done 360 turning kicks in class or during sparring .. same concept just add extra spins

15. Din

Din 3rd dan

i agree with kickchick .. plyometrics ... once the legs muscles are strong enough you should be able to get the height needed ....
    ooh and in the above post i meant so say sure not cure ... :)

16. Helm

Helm New Member

Well the 540 hook and 540 roundhouse are the easiest.

Basically the way i learned to do them:

540 hook, goto throw a 360 roundhouse, when you would extend the roundhouse leg, tuck it in and throw the hook, just needs practise.

The 540 roundhouse is the easiest, just goto do a high-section 360 and try to land on your kicking leg, you find the extra 180 roation comes from landing on the kicking leg.

17. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

What's a 540 Gyro?

18. Helm

Helm New Member

I think its where your body is horizontal in the air and you kick vertically, much like a butterfly kick.

19. Intan86

Intan86 Valued Member

You know, I saw the vid 720 hook. When the guy jumps and spin a couple of times before delivering a hook, it reminds me of figure skating. I think the 720 is kind'f looks funny and silly.

I don't think the 720 will be a help in a fight because who's sooo stupid to stand there and wait? Maybe the 360 and the 540 will work but not more than that.

20. TKD

TKD New Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure a gyro is where you do the kick by jumping off of both feet simultaneously, then instead of landing one foot at a time you land both feet at the same time. So, if you wanted to do a 720 gyro turning kick you would jump off of both feet at the same time spin 180, 360 or 540 degrees do your kick then spin however many more times necessary to complete the 720 depending on how many rotations you did before the kick then land on both feet again simultaneously.