50 man Kumite!

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Haduken, May 9, 2006.

1. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

Big Congratulations to Two time Kyokushin kai british champion Kenny Jarvis, who completed his 50 man kumite on Sunday. I believe this is the first time the 50 man has been attempted for 13 years in the UK, and the last guy ended up in hospital with internal bleeding (after completing the 50 fights I might add). Kenny competed against most of the british squad under full knockdown rules for the 50 fights. All i can add is WOW!

2. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Wow indeed! That's something to tell the grandkids!

3. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

from what i have heard he can't even make himself LOOK at his gi at the moment, lol. apparently he said he was knackered after 4 fights, and just dug deep from that point on.

Masked profanity removed by Anth

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2006
  4. Moosey

That's a LOT of digging! Especially if half his opponents were other squad members - should've chosen 50 10-year-olds or something :D

5. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

Without meaning to sound disrespectful or rude but do. the other fighters go 'easy' (easier) on him. I think i would because imagine being the 49th guy and kicking his ass you'd feel so bad.

6. Illonos

Illonos Black spotted reader.

that isn't the mentality of kyokushin kais. they will fight until the opponent is down, no matter who he is and when. that's part of the challenge

7. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

apparently steve arneil (head of kyokushin kai) was heard telling the fighters (whilst kenny was out of ear shot) that "this is a full knockdown tournament and full knock down rules applied - if you knock him down you knock him down, if you knock him out you knock him out, if the 50th fighter knocks him out, then he fails and i won't care" and i am sure they listened - and moosey, all the fighters were of the british squad i believe.

8. philp

philp New Member

That's pretty impressive! I don't think i'd even be able to attempt to punch someone after that long.

9. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

also seanyseanybean: to go light would be a disrepectful act to someone who has trained for so long and for so hard, and is 2 time british champion. If he gets through knowing that everyone gave him there best, it is an incredible achievement, if he knows they held back, it is still incredible to all of us, but probably not so much to him - you have to remember how rare a thing the 50 man is!

also I did hear that kenny managed to get a rest - apparently one guy was really kicking that life out of him, and so he knew if he didn't pick it up he would get hurt - he promptly launched in a few knees that dropped the guy, and the guy couldn't recover, so kenny got to rest for the last 30 secs or so of that round, lol. can't imagine seeing a guy fighting 50 guys, and they are the ones who can't continue!

10. Opinie

Opinie New Member

I don't want to take over the thread or anything, but I'd just want to ask this: In the 50 man kumite do all the 50 guys try to kick your rear at the same time, or do they just come one at a time?

11. Moosey

:D one at a time!

12. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

one at a time for 1 and a half minutes each for 50 consecutive fights

13. philp

philp New Member

hehe, imagine trying to take on 50 people at once :)

14. Opinie

Opinie New Member

ok I just had to check =) thanks

15. TheWaterMargins

TheWaterMargins Valued Member

Was he sponsored?????

Could have raised a lot of money for Sport Aid .....

16. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

In our style (a mix of kyokushinkai & wado ryu)for the black belt grading students need to fight 15 consecutive fights with senior black belts. And this is just for the grading ! :eek: The number goes up to 20 and 100 fights for 2.nd and 3.rd dan gradings.

From what I know about our chief instructor Frank Perry, he was the first English Karate student to have fought 50 consecutive full contact bouts even though not sure in what year he did this.

Christian

17. philp

philp New Member

:eek:

that's insane! :D

Are they full contact as well?

18. thepunisher

thepunisher Banned Banned

Yes, full contact, except the person grading isn't allowed to make the attacker bleed ! Often the ppl doing the black belt gradings come out battered and the aim is to stay up until the end. But once you make it, its a moment of immense pride. And I can understand why.

Especially since this is only one part of the grading, the other includes doing all the katas from 10.th kyu up to 1.st kyu + a bo kata and brick and stone breakings.

Christian

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  19. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

water... this was not sponored... it is a very personal thing - and i don' think you could do it, if you weren't doing it for yourself - plus it turns it into something else, and the people fighting him may want him to get through if it is for charity

20. Haduken

Haduken Valued Member

whats that about - what if someone bleeds easy... also not sure about you 100 man comment for 3rd dan - 100 man hasn't been done for a very long time, and there are lots of kyokushin 3rd dans.