5 Year old, excess energy, needs an outlet!:p

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Jjf88, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

My 5 year old nephew needs an outlet. So I thought I'd try and find him a decent Karate/Judo class. So I've came here to find a decent Judo one first, to see if he enjoys it. If so, sorted. If not, I'm off to bug the karate forum.

I've found a few websites but I don't really know any legit places, I'm into Muay Thai so I know no one that's in the Judo area lol. I know Koyo recommended Judo as a great starting point for any martial artists so I'm keen to see if he likes it.

We're in Glasgow, specifically Pollok but we can travel, obviously not too far and if there were Saturday classes, that'd be brilliant as that's when he stays over with us.

Cheers

2. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Also, it's mostly for him to get out and have a laugh and he's into martial arts, or the idea of it from a kid's point of view, so i'd appreciate it if it wasn't 7 quid a lesson (like one i saw :L)

3. Kid Moe

Kid Moe Peace that don't belong

I would definitely go for Judo at this point... It's brilliant for kids for so many reasons...

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Personally i think if you can find him a good wrestling club, he'll find it more fun.
    plus if he's young and starts, he'll be joining the olympic squad when he reaches the age!

5. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

I think he'll fall out of it for something else in a years time, his attention span is like a gnat lol!

6. Mangosteen

hahaha
    well i've tried judo. Loved it.
    But then i tried wrestling and i liked it more because there was less restriction on techniques which will really bug you if you're a kid.
    Either way, both Judo and wrestling instructors organise classes really well.
    Kids Judo classes look a lot more fun than adult ones!

I'm sure there are lots of judo classes in glasgow! they've got the best jiu jitsu in scotland!

7. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

It's trying to find a good one though, because I seem to find some dodgy looking ones lol. Wish Koyo was here to point me in the right direction. I want to start him on aikido but he's not patient enough :(

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why not just go for the TKD? Specially designed for children. Cool moves, lots of protection, you can progress through ranks quite quickly, and it uses loads of energy. All that, and TKD schools normally have lots of after school clubs anyway :)

9. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

can't seem to find a decent one on a saturday at a decent price lol. Still looking into everything though.

10. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

http://www.caledoniantkd.com/

£25 a month for children, but you have to pay for three months at a time, so £75 for three months?

This took me two seconds to find on Google.

11. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

12. Mangosteen

not TKD.
    judo is better.

13. Mangosteen

Judo is generally a good base for kids to start because they can get stuck in with contact work which is always enjoyable.
    Wrestling is also cheap and lots of clubs in glasgow, all authorised by the national governing body:
    http://www.britishwrestling.org/clubs.asp?section=29&sectionTitle=Find+a+Club

But i think Judo is you best shot. They have some of the best planned out kids programs as well as a really organised governing body with lots of clubs (wrestling is a little harder to find a kids club):
    http://britishjudo.org.uk/thesport/findclub.php
    Judo is a good mix of things that you want in an MA for kids as well as made to be really fun with loads of sport specific games so kids don't realise that they're learning but think they're just having fun!

14. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

I'm trying to get in touch with the Pro Judo guy, I had his number from my own search but figured that if I could get some insight from one of the guys here, I'd be sorted.

So I'll keep trying with the Pro Judo :)

Thanks guys.

15. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

I know Brian Long (Projudo head coach) and several of his assistant coaches personally and can vouch for both their technical knowledge and ability to run enjoyable sessions for adults and children.

Your child will be in good hands there :)

16. watts

watts Valued Member

For 5 year olds you would need a good club for your kid, if that Pro Judo one is like that then great, but for the majority of clubs I would say that 5 is too young.

Though I can see from their website they split the class into under 8 and over 8's, this is a good sign as the needs of kids aged 5 to 7 is a lot different to a 10 year old.

17. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

He's got a class today, he seems pretty excited. I'll let you guys know how it's went :D

18. Mangosteen

What MA did you choose?

19. Jjf88

Jjf88 Valued Member

Judo. He said he enjoyed it alot, it's a weekly payment and he picks things up fairly quickly, apparently. :p

20. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

I will only suggest that you get him a FREE trial before joining any school, regardless of the style... and don't sign any long term contract over 3 months.