5 elements

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by Wanderer, Jul 21, 2005.

1. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

I know the "One gives birth to Two, Two gives birth to three, Three gives birth to ten thousand things"

Didn't think that the number two itself had any real significance.

Also know the five elements and the eight powers make up the thirteen tactics, but didn't think either of those numbers had any real significance either.

Will need to look into it.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  2. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Its interesting but in my opinion not important. There is a lot of knowledge out there but as some one said.

Without leaving his door one can understand the world.
    Without glancing out of the window one can see the Tao of heaven.
    The farther one travels, the less one knows.

Keep it simple.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

It is simple :)

Although perhaps not as simple as considering it to be 'yin yang' boxing..

Nice passage Moon. I agree it is not 'important', but an interesting parallel nonetheless between tao/ I ching/ fibonacci /taiji, if you like that sort of thing.

@brido - the significance is really neither here nor there, it just is what it is..

4. moononthewater

moononthewater Valued Member

Geo you put it much better when you say its interesting but not important. Knowledge is always good but i feel sometimes people try to make mountains out of molehills sometimes just so they can earn that extra buck or two. I have chatted to people who have been to see so called famous teachers who have charged them loads of money maybe thousands for stuff they can read in books. They have paid mega money for things i can learn of my teacher for a little red packet and a lift. My old GoJu teacher has been there done it and trained with some of the best in the world and charges about a fiver for a four hour session on a sunday morning. Sorry going off track a little there but just trying to say keep it simple.

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Fairplay Moon, I appreciate your sentiments.
    This is simply a very little connection I have made through my own interest and nothing more..it is clarifying/helpful to me of the understanding of 'supreme ultimate'.
    Whether others share/find useful is not a particular concern, though I share with openness.

The last thing I am interested in is connecting moneymaking with MA of any kind. Though perhaps the theme of numerology subliminally gave you that impression :)

6. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

They aren't redundant either though.

They tell you that if someone charges forward at you then sidestep, and so on.

Sure, the tactics can be expressed in words alone, but if you are interested in the theory then it is interesting.

Trying to pass them off as something more though for money is wrong though, what martial style doesn't practise body evasion?

7. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Here is a video link to Song style Xing Yi 5 elements fists.

Wu Xing

Have fun.

:)

8. onyomi

onyomi 差不多先生

In Bagua-zhang there are standing exercises for each of the eight precepts leading up to to the Bagua: 0=wuji=nonpolariy, 1=taiji=polarity (yin and yang together), 2=liangyi=yin and yang seperate, 3=sancai=heaven, earth and man, 4=sixiang=the four seasons, 5=wuxing=the five elements, 6=liuhe=the six harmonies, 7=qixing=the seven stars, and 8=bagua=the eight trigrams. These eight are also all important concepts for TCM and Chinese philosophy in general.

I think it keeps on going like that to "the nine palaces" and more, but I don't really understand the significance of those after 8. Any further info. would be appreciated. :)

9. Wanderer

Wanderer Valued Member

Excellent post.

There are standing post practices of 0 to 8 as you described.

They are called Ba Zhuang. There are fixed postures. Thus the name is Ding Shi Ba Zhuang.

Each style of Ba Gua has some different postures in Ba Zhuang.

For example, in Liang style, the 7 stars, 5 elements and Ba Gua Zhuang are different from some other style of Ba Gua Zhang.

Yes. There are 9 palace or Jiu Gong walking steps.

When I have time, I will have pictures of Ba Zhuang from Liang style posted in this thread.

:)