5 Brazilian-Jujutsu Techniques for Females Who Fight Back

Discussion in 'Ju Jitsu' started by Melanie, Jul 18, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Found this in a search - after a prompting from A Bustillio on the Sabaki Forums.

Wasn't very sure if this was just self defence or Ju Jitsu...then realised the Ju Jitsu forum looked a bit empty :D

Thoughts and opinions please.

By the way, does anyone here do Brazilian Ju Jitsu?

http://w3.blackbeltmag.com/featurecontent/view.asp?article=263

2. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Melanie,
    A Bustillo is a friend of mine. Have you read his book Steady Training?

3. Melanie

No - I didn't realise he was an author? Sorry...

Where can I find it?

4. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

5. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

mememememe

BJJ is a big part of what we do. I love it to bits :D

6. ladyhawk

ladyhawk Valued Member

Melanie,
    I also did a search for BB magazine's new magazine "Self Defense for Women" and was unsuccessful. Looks like I'm going to have to check out the book store to see if they have it.
    I'll let you know what I think if I find it.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'd like to practice BJJ but theres so few 'authentic' teachers about, lthough over the last 5 years I have noticed a lot of the MA flyers that go around the area about once have started claiming that their training incorparates it, bullpoo!

Thanx

8. Jim

Jim New Member

There has been a large increase in the amount of BJJ clubs in our state (and country) lately too. I think that a lot of the interest started because of the 'Ultimate Fighting Championships' Videos that have been doing the circuits.

The only real change in BJJ than many other variations of JJ is that they tend to go to ground more than just about any other style. As discussed in another forum, the biggest danger in going to ground 'on the street' is if you're not up against just one opponent.

9. Joseki

Joseki Valued Member

To me (and i know this is going to start up some tempers) BJJ is a very good system and they do and have done some great stuff for Ju Jitsu BUT its more of a Judo style than Ju Jitsu and i agree with Jim about the last place to be is on the ground, but the best thing is not to fight there (that can be good if its one on one) but how quick you can get up, they one said that 99% of the time fights end up on the floor which may be the case for them for thats promoting there style but i can tell you that 99% of the time one person is standing when the other is on the floor just dont make it you !!!!!!

10. Darzeka

Darzeka New Member

How would you attack someone on the ground?

Just think about it for a second.

You hit them and they stumble or trip. They end up on their back looking up at you. neither has any friends present to interfere.
    How would you attack?

think from the reverse. How would you not like to be attack on ground? What could you do to stop them?

Being on the ground is not as big a disadvantage as it seems.

but I agree that BJJ isn't as effective as they make it out to be.
    After watching the UFC videos and Royce Gracie in particular he didn't seem to try many different moves.
    Now I'm not dissing BJJ persay in their techniques but more their approach to training and fighting.
    For someone so high into the rankings of his art Royce Gracie seemed fairly limited with what he tried to do. Shouldn't someone who has trained for that long have enough experience to make something up from the position he was in?

I think I will elaborate on this in another thread next week.

11. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Simplicity wins over complicity generally.

The majority of good fighters drill over and over only a handful of techniques which is what makes them so good at them. They'll have 1500 different enterances to the same finish, and remember when your up against a trained fighter you don't want to give him something he can use hence the apparent hesitations in the bouts, neither wants to give something away.

As to attacking someone on the ground, well I'd much rather be standing, the old leg lash defence is quite good but against someone who knows a few good leglocks it may be wanting.

It all depends on the individuals.

Thanx

12. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

Well put Freeform

I study BJJ at a Machado club. There are plenty of techniques, just to get your Blue Belt you need to perform 28 different techniques in 5 minutes, Believe me, no-mean-feat.

Where I train our instructors are two of the best in Australia and we have specific classes. For example standard BJJ, BJJ no Gi, BJJ Competition, BJJ Self-defence plus on top of the BJJ classes we can do Kickboxing, Vale Tudo, a form of Japanese Yoga (Indian Yoga on steroids).

There are plenty of moves that a BJJ'er can use to take out, tie up or knock down a standing fighter to thwart their attack. Not to mention plenty of chokes and locks that can be used very effectively from a standing position by a BJJ'er.

But it is not the be-all-and-end-all, no martial art is.

Cheers

Sean

13. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

hmm the article is intresting... but if u see closely they talk more about common sense like reaching for a finger...
    anyways i think WSD is more about common sense and bit of ignorance(from the part of attacker)
    u guys should check out Marc MacYoung's site...i think he's demi god in the subject Of self defense
    www.nononsenseselfdefense.com

ok big bizz mind explaing me about japanese yoga or indian yoga on steriods...
    i m doing Yoga from last 8 years... i teach it too (sometimes)...
    i can put u on steriods even in one simple finger movement in yoga... ;)
    -TkdWarrior-

14. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

Indian Yoga vs Japanese Yoga

Sure TKDWarrior

I am no expert on this topic so I can only tell you what I have experienced.

I have been using traditional yoga myself (from a book) for a couple of years and now I don't think I could start my day any other way.

At the BJJ gym I am a member of, they offer 2 X 1hr classes a week of a Japanese Yoga that was invented about 7-8 years ago I think.

The guy who invented it was or is a traditional Yoga practioner that is also very big into Shiatsu. He has made some changes to the traditional style by adding moves and altering original techniques so that they now supposedly better align the Chi or energy meridians in the body.

The big differences I notice are some of the stretches are a tad more exact with the body positioning and some of the movements are either more pronounced or are done at a faster rate (which at first really threw me).

Plus a lot of the moves require a partner.

What can I say? I felt good after the class and I had a good time.

Cheers

Sean

15. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

cool.... if u look from outside yoga does look like BORING.. :D
    hmm my guess is guy must hav done TCM..wat ya say?
    hey big bizz wat is shaitsu?i hav heard but dunno anything a bout this if u hav any info mind PMing me??
    thnx
    -TkdWarrior-

16. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

Shiatsu is a form of Japanese massage, that again works with the Chi meridians in your body. The pathways of energy that make everything work.

It deals a lot with specific pressure points for specific parts of the body.

Interesting stuff.

Please excuse my ignorance TKDWarrior? What do you mean by TCM?

Sean

17. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

oh TCM is traditional Chinese medicine(accupressure n acupuncture, massageur, herbs)as shaitsu is massage therapy it's quite as same to TCM...
    -TkdWarrior-

18. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

TCM OK, that makes sense. Although Shiatsu is a Japanese therapy I would imagine it was brought to Nippon from China maybe by another name or in a different form.

Sean

19. Melanie

Come on Mike Flanagan, where are you? Shiatsu is what you do isn't it?

20. Big Bizz

Big Bizz New Member

Apologies

To TKDWarrior & anyone else reading this thread; my apologies.

I got some of my Japanese Yoga facts wrong. As I first mentioned I am no expert and I am a very new student of this.

I found out that Japanese Yoga is called Shin-Shin-Toitsu-Do and it's founder; Nakamura Tempu Sensei formed it in 1919 after studying traditional Yoga in India.

I just wanted to clear things up.

Cheers:p