5 Animal Chi Gung?

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by aaradia, Sep 2, 2015.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

My school really only minimally does Chi Gung. We are encouraged to do standing meditation on our own. Sometimes, we do 5 minutes of it in class for the instructor to go over points you should do in meditation.

We also do 8 Pieces of Brocade.

Anyways, our GM studies it intensively and has for many years. He is coming down for our yearly seminars with him and he is teaching a seminar in 5 Animal Chi Gung. I know almost nothing about it and am trying to decide if I should take this seminar.

Is this something that varies widely from different lineages or is it the same everywhere? Has anyone ever done something called this? If so, what did you think of it?

I am definitely doing one of the other seminar choices where GM Wong will be teaching advanced TCC concepts. I won't be doing the CLF forms he is teaching this year as I am focusing on curriculum material for my next test. But this won't be a form to memorize that takes away from time to practice for said test.

I keep going back and forth about doing it. He almost never teaches this in seminars, so it is a rare opportunity. But I just don't know. I consider the seminars a good value, but it isn't cheap. So I only want to do it if I think I will keep up the practice. That is why I want to learn a bit more about it if anyone else here has done it or something similar.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Learned part of it, but the teacher was to far away for me to continue. I liked it would have liked to finish it ,maybe someday I will.

And it has been around for awhile and the forms can vary depending on the teacher

3. RobB

RobB New Member

Hi,

I'd be inclined to go for it. If your GM think's its worth teaching then it's probably worth knowing. One thing I like about (good) chi kung sets is that they can have some interesting ideas in a short format - sometimes a different take on themes that you may find elsewhere in your practice.

Cheers

Rob

4. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Go for it.

Although you may not carry on with the physical movements/postures, you may pick up some aspects that can carry over into your own practice, including your tai chi forms and tuishou.