3rd Dan Test - Breaking

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Earl Weiss, Jul 30, 2014.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Cool. :) That's well before my time...I wasn't even born until almost a decade after that and never cared much for Bruce Lee flicks. I've just heard a bunch of jokes along the same lines over the years and they amuse me. :D

2. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Now you know where they got the material.

3. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

We don't break boards as a fighting drill. The purpose is to condition and streighten your bones - allowing for full force techniques.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually the purpose is to demonstrate power and technique - conditioning has nothing to do with it.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  5. itf-taekwondo

Your bones are supposed to get stronger from doing it.

Here is one source why:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgF-WDkhkOk"]Superhuman block break - YouTube[/ame]

Explanation at 2:23

6. Hannibal

Conditioning for breaking is done elsewhere and manifests in the breaking - makiwara, trees, pillars, logs etc... all condition the hand so when a break is attempted of the type shown above the skeletal structure can take it. That's identical to a bodybuilder damaging the muscle and having it regrow and repair. Very, very few break to the level shown above and the breaking seen in 99% of schools has zero to do with conditioning the body.

Literally anyone can break a board if they commit to it - the impressive thing about the videos Earl posted in the difficulty of the technique used, not the material

7. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

It was just a really lame joke. :D

8. itf-taekwondo

That's because most modern schools outside of maybe some parts of Japan and Korea are watered down and kid friendly. The breaker is a guiness record holder - I was simply showing at which direction it will lead you. Speaking of breaking as a hole - including escalation.

9. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Hannibal is correct. You are wrong.

Conditioning is done (In part) as a preperation for beaking.

That is what the video says.

10. itf-taekwondo

The video says "years of training". The preparation and application could be both hardening of the bones. One does not exclude the other.

I don't see why you would be commited to the view that the actual application (breaking) is having no effect on the streightening process of the bones.

Do you in fact have any source for such sweeping statements?

11. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

The only conditioning I believe you'll gain from the actual breaking itself, in my experience at least, is the over coming of mental obstacles/psychological barriers - Committing 100%, and throwing everything you have in to the technique, despite the inherent 'Dangers' in what you are doing. Even then, if it is a break that you have already repeated previously in practice, the benefit of this mental conditioning will be lessened.

"We recently did a demo and I made people do breaks they had never attempted before - I made sure that I also did a break that I'd never done before.

I don't mind telling you that I was worried about it and I definitely needed the adrenalin of the public performance to do it."
    - Gavin Mullholland

Kind Regards,

Travess

12. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Look again at the video with the explanation for "Micro Fractures" and healing etc. . The same info is available from all over the net.

Saying the breaking strengthens / hardens the bones is like saying "Running a Marathon" helps your endurance. The effect is nominal when compared to all the training that leads up to the marathon. Similarly it's like a strength contest. The actual contest does litle to develop your strength. Again, it's all the training that leads up to the event that develops the strength.

FWIW I have been doing regular bone contioning for about 24 years now.

Now do you see why I am committed to the view?

13. Hannibal

That is just clutching at straws - It could also include wearing a tutu and eating freeze dried monkey turds...but it doesn't

The effect is absolutely minimal because the conditioning is done prior to the breaking at the high level. At low level no conditioning is required

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Never has the phrase "pot meet kettle" been more apt!

You were wrong, deal with it

14. itf-taekwondo

In the case of fractures (which ultimately streightens the bone), my instructor suffered it during one of his breakings, not the prior work. Breaking then clearly did contribute to the hardening process.

15. Hannibal

Because he ballsed it up

16. itf-taekwondo

He performed countless breaking demonstrations in his youth. That's why. This guy is also pictured next to some general you might have heard of.

I won't tell you what he thinks of me, in case you might throw up.

17. Hannibal

Not getting it are you?

He ballsed up the demo, broke his hand and using THE PROGRESSIVE TRAINING METHODOLOGY theory described earlier it grew back stronger

His opinion of you is irrelevant because you are still wrong

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Forging posts, knuckle press-ups and similar training are used for conditioning, not breaking, just as Earl Weiss said.

Mitch

19. itf-taekwondo

There was no admission of inaccuracy. On the contrary, he displayed the broken knuckle in a positive way. Simply performing so much elaborate demonstration caused it. His words, not mine.

20. Hannibal

This is like arguing with a flat-earther....