3G plug-in access on Linux notebook?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Jang Bong, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

Sorry for a minimallist question, but I've been asked by a 'friend' and I don't know all you might need to know.

She has purchased an HP Notebook computer (her words) for her Son about to go overseas with the forces. The main aim of this is for contact using Skype/Internet facilities. It seems she's been talked into getting one running Linux, and has since been unable to find a 3G (or similar) style connection from any of the major suppliers (she mentioned O2, Vodaphone, and others).

I suggested she return to the people who sold it and explain that due to the operating system it won't do the very thing it was bought for - she had already done that and their opinion was the she "knew what she was buying!" :woo: (She has NO IDEA what she was buying.... I know - she shouldn't have bought it alone... but she did).

I've never dealt with Linux in any of it's flavours, and use Vodaphone 3G cards on the Windows laptops at work (which is why I know of THAT side of the picture) - so can anyone else suggest a supplier of connectivity, or a plan of attack for the company who sold her it?

Feel free to fill in any blank spots I have in my knowledge - I hold my hands up, this is NOT my area :)

2. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

3. Jang Bong

Jang Bong Speak softly....big stick

You're gentleman and a scholar :)

I'm trying to keep myself a bit detatched (you'll have noticed the quotes around 'friend') but I'll pass on your advice and print a couple of phrases from the links you gave.

Many thanks..... [Have I mentioned recently how much Computer Sales-persons annoy me?] :woo: