.303 British

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by hardball, Dec 13, 2013.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Nonsense. Do you have any evidence (eg police statements to the press, newspaper editorials, interviews with the general public) from the time the legislation was passed to indicate that either the public, the press, or the police believed any such thing? I don't recall any and as a member of the general public I certainly didn't believe that gun crime would stop.

2. John Titchen

More crime, fewer homicides (at present).

Gun crime went up then down as did homicides. At present gun related homicides are slightly lower than prior to the bans, but overall recorded gun crime itself is higher (about twice as many incidents recorded in EW last year compared to '97). That said gun crime rose sharply at the turn of the century and has been steadily decreasing since then.

3. BudJJKa

BudJJKa Valued Member

Personal opinion based on my views and the views of people I have discussed the subject with all be it a bit biased as I had a interest in target shooting an so did the people I spoke with. Some of the people I have discussed this with were retired police and FEO's (firearms enquiry officers) who are the people who issue firearms Licences, but to answer your question no I do not have physical evidence to back my statement but does any one have evidence to argue the fact that someone did not say a firearms ban would not stop gun crime in the UK.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I think the figures are skewed by the rise in gangster related crime, seeing as you get 15 year olds toting guns now.

5. John Titchen

Let me get this straight.

You are asking for evidence that someone did not say a firearms ban would not stop gun crime in the UK?

So you want evidence that someone said a firearms ban would stop gun crime? The thing I asked you to prove and you couldn't?

You made a statement. See MAP sticky thread on the burden of proof. I don't have to prove anything as I haven't made the claim.

6. John Titchen

7. BudJJKa

BudJJKa Valued Member

I didn't ask you personally to prove anything.. I answered your question no I do not have physical evidence to back up my statement , I said does anyone have physical evidence to say someone didn't say it. Without having access to government records or transcripts neither way can be proved or disproved.

8. BudJJKa

BudJJKa Valued Member

That's a very interesting article and I thank you for directing me to it I shall endeavour to only post statements I can physically prove.
    I see an opinion can be taken in the wrong context and maybe I should of worded my statement more carefully and had less one sided comments in it.

9. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Never saw that "burden of proof sticky" Thanks for posting it.

10. John Titchen

Your statement was that the police and the non shooting public thought it would stop gun crime. The moral of the story is not to make sweeping (and highly unlikely) statements you can't back up with evidence. :Angel: It's entirely possible that one or two idiots may have said it, just like you can find people who believe that the moon is made of cheese, but you phrased it as if it was a majority viewpoint amongst the Police and the non shooting public and neither are that dumb.

The British Library will have the newspapers and Hansard of the time. :)

11. BudJJKa

BudJJKa Valued Member

That's going too far now seriously....
    The moon is made of cheese everyone knows that....

12. John Titchen

Not an issue.

We tend to be very precise vis a vis gun stuff here on MAP as it (gun ownership and legislation) is a very emotive issue for a number of people and can cause arguments that breach the normal peace and tranquility of the forum.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Never a truer word ;)

14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Was speaking on Facebook this morning to an old friend still in the Paras and he said his company has all but done away with the LSW, it being replaced by the L29A1 DMR. I've seen the rifle in images and news footage but never got the opportunity to fire it. Looks a lot like the M16/M4, unsurprising seeing as it's based on the AR-10 design.

www.americanrifleman.org/mobile/article.php?id=14094

Anybody here fired it?

15. hardball

hardball Valued Member

You said a mouthful. Learned a lot from this thread. Cheers.

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

SMLE mkIII (first world war)
    [​IMG]

SMLE mkV (early WWII)
    [​IMG]

Enfield rifle No.4 (WWII, Korea, Suez)
    [​IMG]

Enfield rifle No.5 (WWII: SE Asia)
    [​IMG]

L42a1 (.308,Cold War, NI, Falklands)
    [​IMG]

British infantry tactics in the first quarter of the 20th century placed lot of emphasis on concentrated long range fire. Platoons would focus on a 100m2 area 800m+ away and then arc rounds down onto it. Coupled with their rate of fire advantage this made them very effective.

17. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Based on these photos I would say I have number 4. Put thousands of rounds through it at the outdoor range. Had tons of fun.

18. slasha

slasha Banned Banned

Is this necromancy? The number 4 was produced in .22 as a single shot cadet trainer and in 7.62 as the sniper rifle in the UK and as a 7.62 service weapon india until the 80s.
    I had a play with a 303 once and qas shown how to manipulate the bolt, weapon in shoulder eyes on sight, using thumb and trigger finger, pulling the trigger with the 'middle' finger, apparently in Crete in WW2 this style of fire scared the hell out of the germans making them think it was loads of machine guns. They staggered the firing so the loading was done at different intervals.

19. southernKarate

southernKarate New Member

fired one in army cadets as well as bren gun which was fun at the time and a browning 9mm. shows the build quality of the rifles we used to make and lasted so long.

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I haven't fired one. Fired many other types of guns. What is the "going price" of one sole in the US?