3 weeks - what to do?

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by bigreddog, Aug 21, 2015.

1. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

So I have a sport jujitsu tournament (striking and grappling) in 3 weeks. 6 weeks ago I popped a rib out of the cartilage, so have trained very minimally through that time (both because it was painful and because I didn't want to reinjure it by rushing). Its all clear and stood up to a kickboxing class and some light rolling in bjj, so I am good to go, but obviously have lost a lot of prep time.

Any suggestions as to what is the most useful thing to do with the last 3 weeks before the comp?

2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Managing your expectations is probably the most useful thing you can do this soon to an event.

3. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Sadly you may be right.....

4. liero

liero Valued Member

What level of comp is it?

While you might not be able to focus on an outcome goal (gold medal) you could decide to work on a particular performance goal that is important (solid use of X technique, better defense than last time, etc).

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I would say work things the way the Gracies used to approach self defense. Limited strategy/technique and simple planning.

You have 3 weeks so pick a few simple game plans and and work hard for two weeks. For example I used to have 4 basic plans for grappling which I would drill consistently from a few different takedowns:

→Halfguard to sweep → reachback pass out of their halfguard → work top game
    →Full guard to rubberguard → armbar + sweep if they tried to stack and pass
    →Side control subs from side control OR to mount → keylock or arm triangle from mount
    →Pass guard

Those effectively let me deal with quite a bit just because I was faster and more confident with those limited tools and strategies. You can do somewhat the same with striking as well. It's not the best way of going about things if you all the time in the world but you don't so focus on a limited skillset.

I mean you could get really good at stuffing takedowns and practice hard on footsweeps from an upright clinch for example. Pick a few paths, drill hard, and go to town.

Make sure to take a week off to recover from the hard training though.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  6. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Thanks. Gameplan is key, and often neglected I think. Jump spinning axe kick to tomoe-nage to rubber guard twister it is then!

7. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Poison your opponents food

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Seriously though I tore my chest cartlidge in January, it's not good, maybe a rib isn't as bad but I'm just getting back fit now, well being fitter, as I was overweight beforehand. Do you absolutely have to compete this time round?

9. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Yes - because I'm so damn manly! Also because I'm getting older and there aren't many comps so it might be my last one, and the rib is OK now (not perfect but good) so it is only me sweating on the lack of prep really - I'll go, have a scrap and it will be what it will be

10. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Good stuff

11. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

Fwiw took part, didn't fight at my best but had some fun. Time to start training for the next one!