3 sword style?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by karate P.belt 2, Aug 9, 2005.

1. karate P.belt 2

karate P.belt 2 New Member

I heard some guy say he was trained in a style where 3 swords were used is this a real style or is he just blowing hot air?

2. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

Santo-ryu 三刀流 was something that was derived from a character in a Japanese anime called One-Piece. The character used three swords, one in each hand and one clenched in the teeth. Anime have some fanciful and fantastic storylines and plot devices and this is one of them.

There are no Japanese styles that use three swords at the same time.

Your mate has been having a bubble.

(BTW, this is not to be confused with Takenouchi Santo-ryu 竹内参統流 which is a jujutsu system)

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Perhaps the original post meant a style which trains with 3 different types of swords (or blades in general), such as katana, wakizashi and tanto?

4. karate P.belt 2

maybe he did but I think he meanty 3 at once

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

3 at once? One in the left hand, one in the right, one in your mouth? :confused:

6. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Well, I guess there are worse oriffices to use. :eek:

Maybe he's combined juggling and MA into a new hybrid art, ...or he's full of it. ;) I 'm going with the latter option.

7. Kogusoku

Not likely, this question has popped up on several other forums related with weaponry and swordsmanship.

8. Aegis

Ah.

In that case:

No, anime != real martial arts :p

9. karate P.belt 2

it just occured to me that maybe (this is a long shot) he meant 2 in 1 hand or he means 3 blades as in a double edged sword (very long shot)

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

How would he effectively control 2 swords in one hand though? :confused:

11. Aegis

I think the juggling idea has more chance of working than that!

12. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

maybe it's some strange swiss army knife weapon??? :D :D :D

13. karate P.belt 2

I said it was a long shot

14. clemsontkd

clemsontkd New Member

NOO j00 |=001 73|-| 4|\|!/\/\3 is 73|-| 7r|_|3 /\/\4r7!41 4r75
    4|\|!/\/\3 == r341 /\/\4r7!41 4r75

15. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Well, I know of systems could be transfered into a situation where you could have 3 weapons in two hands, but it's not somthing anybody I know about train:

Your left hand holds a 1h weapon (a ligth axe, a shield, etc) and the shaft of a 2h. spear. Your right hand holds around the shaft of the same spear and a dagger. That way, you can drop the spear and kill with the dagger if the opponent manages to close past your spear.

An other varian that is often used in Viking-reenactments (i.e -not a proper Martial art) is when you fight with a 1h.spear and shield, but that you hide a weapon behind the shield; a dagger, a light axe, etc. that could be used by dropping the shield or the spear.

Finally Germanic tribes/ scirmishing-forces in most ancient armies had javelin-throwers that "fough" with up to 5 weapons (one javelin in the right hand for throwing, 4 javelins in the left hand as "ammo". (Frankish Axe-throwers allso have several axes in their belt.)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  16. Lurch

Lurch Angry Kid

I disagree. With a little imagination and a fair amount of discomfort, you could ensure that no-one was able to sneak up behind you...besides, if all your opponents were rolling around laughing, you'd win easily.

17. Kogusoku

Makes flatulence a problem doesn't it?

Oh but wait, then you have a projectile weapon!!! :bang: :D

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  18. Shokku

Shokku Banned Banned

lol ^_^

19. shootodog

shootodog restless native

oh my god! please! too many jokes!

20. Hyaku