3 day workout split whilst cutting weight for fight?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Warriorspirit91, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Warriorspirit91

Warriorspirit91 Valued Member

Hey guys,

I have been training in Muay Thai for over a year now and have decided to compete, currently I am just over 63KG (around 140lbs) and need to cut down to 58KG (around 128lbs) by the end of February.

I was wondering if you guys could direct me to the best 3 day split for keeping as much strength as possible whilst training for my fights (I train Muay Thai 4 times a week).

Also any advice for my first fight would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

You don't actually need that much work to maintain strength, so I wouldn't worry much about it, and rather just use the time you have to try to lean out a little bit so that if you cut water weight, it's minimal. I see two ways in which you can go about it (although Icefield may have better insight, he's more qualified than I to talk about it), always keeping in mind that you need to control your nutrition appropriately:

A: Low-ish volume, moderate to high intensity strength training for strength maintenance, plus much low intensity exercise (walk or bike as much as possible instead of taking a bus or car, for example). Minimize recovery demands while touching heavy enough weights that you can ensure maintaining strength.

B: Moderate to high-ish volume, low-ish to moderate intensity strength training to preserve muscle while leaning out, and expending more energy through weight training than in option A (always keeping in mind that the actual expenditure from weights is much less than some may think), plus low intensity exercise as per the above. Recovery may prove more important, but you'll contribute more to the weight loss than in A, so it's a tradeoff, and you need to be more careful with your nutrition and make sure you get enough protein in to spare lean mass.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Could you define what you mean by "cut down" in weight? Do you mean you need to fight st that weight or maintain that weight? Also, do you day before, or same day weigh ins?

4. Warriorspirit91

Warriorspirit91 Valued Member

Appreciate the information Fish, just going to focus on nutrition and stick to the main strength exercises when lifting.

I need to make 58kg as I am competing at that weight and the weigh in is on the same day Chadderz.