2931 Kicks In One Minute

Discussion in 'Kenpo' started by Les, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Yeah, me too. :confused:

Come on, it's about fund raising. I'm sure the students don't kick like that during regular training. I participated in my school's kickathon and we raised a fair bit of dough. All my kicks were crappy and half done, but that day of the year was bout fundraising, not training. We use the other 364 for training.

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

BIG applause for those raising money for charity with events like this.

3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX Map Addict

Yes, and a big wet lettuce to those who just don't seem to get it! :woo:

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Congrats guys! Raining money for charity can't be a bad thing!

To all the nay-sayers: just back off, they're doing something to help those less fortunate. At least give them the respect they deserve for that.

5. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Big up the Big kickers!

Congrats....

*ponders how many punches he could get off in a min*

6. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Iken and shou shou, you guys mad about something today? It was for charity. Kind of like those guys who break a zillion boards in a minute. Its the result that counts. Surely your BB's in your school don't do perfect form 100% of the time.

7. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

nope, I stand by what I said. I dont believe that quality should come before fundraising. if the money is needed there are other ways of doing it.

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Actually we did 500 kicks per student in 10 minutes (50 kicks per minute ).....
    being called a "a-thon" stands to reason that it sould take longer and so our kicks were slower and hence a bit more challenging.....and as KT acknowledged (which I failed to) was that it was a total between all students
    ..."THATS AN AVERAGE OF 162.83 KICKS EACH PER MINUTE"

Now we can all criticize the "whys" and "what fors" about how this fundraiser was conducted .... but in the end they raised some $ for their mats.

Whether the fundraiser is for civic, community or school based charities... any martial art school that ventures out to give back to its students or other organizations in need (for example http://www.stjude.org/martialarts)... should be commended.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  9. GeeniusAtWurk

GeeniusAtWurk Valued Member

I applaud the event, and boo the naysayers. Its like the cheerio fairy came to a few board members and relieved himself excessively.

10. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Good job to those who participated in this event! Wes shouldn't have to be explaining himself in this case at all.

11. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

I am still amazed at how much you managed to miss the point by.

Kicking at less than perfect technique for one day isn't going to kill anyone.

12. wcrevdonner

wcrevdonner Valued Member

Well done to Les and your school. Perhaps I should suggest something to my school about doing something similar regarding punching...

13. HearWa

HearWa Ow, that hurt...

Err, my mistake LES! :)

14. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

Making a challenge, meeting that challenge. Setting high targets, achieving those goals. Finding new ways to use the skills that are learned in class...

All excellent ways to bring out the good in people. Good for encouraging kids to grow and develop their skills. Building team spirit and giving people a "safe, honourable and legal" outlet for all those violent, destructive and painful techniques that they've been learning.

On the other hand...

You don't want to lose sight of your higher goals (perfecting the art, mastering the body, self-discipline) for a lesser motivation. In this case, I'd have thought that the fund-raising aspect shouldn't really have warranted a break-down of basic principles, but rather called for a reinforcement (how about a really strict set of umpires knocking off kicks that didn't make the grade). Those numbers quoted in the opening post just kind of shout "EXAGGERATION"... and this is the kind of thing that, personally, I'd like to avoid. Setting the targets and meeting them is what makes the learning valuable.

When you find a safe and entertaining way to use your destructive self-defence skills and not hurt or be hurt then it runs the risk of detaching itself completely from the reality of those skills. Training people how to kick must ALWAYS emphasise the importance of responsibility. Kicking like a demented CheerLeader or a French Can-Can dancer is a lot of fun, but a young student shoudn't ever be allowed to forget that his/her kick is a pain-inducing strike to a vital area, given in measured doses in times of extreme distress.

So...

There are some great things about Kick-a-thons and similar events. Worth keeping an eye on the long-term learning principles behind the chosen event, but still possible to do so within the principles of good martial training. Not sure that buying mats for your own school really says "charity" in the way that some of the posters seem to have read...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  15. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

This type of activity can be great for building comraderie among students also. They can tend to drift off with their own agendas unless a common goal can bring them together. It can be beneficial for both the school, the charity, and the students.

16. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

Me either! Are you sure that this is what you meant to say?? Perhaps you let the quality of your posting slip because you wanted to write it faster? Pity is was for nothing so noble as charity. :( .

17. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Well what a bitter mess this lovley thread has turned into. It realy does take the biscuit for me gees some people. Ikken hisatsu i think your walking on air my friend you need to pull yourself down get your feet on the floor. you do sound like the kind of guy who when pulling a spoon out for dessert, cant help looking at your reflection. My i love myself eh :cool:

18. Ikken Hisatsu

Ikken Hisatsu New Member

:D you got me there, I meant to write I dont think quality should come after. mindfart.

19. redsandpalm

redsandpalm shut your beautiful face

20. Nick_UKWC

Nick_UKWC New Member

Congrats to all involved, sounds like fun :)

Ikken, stop being a grumpy old fart :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.