26th festival of CMA's , oxford.

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by ned, Apr 18, 2016.

1. ned

ned Valued Member

Next Sunday , 24th april , this event run by the Wudang practical Taiji school ( Dan Dochery's organisation ) will be taking place in Oxford.
    I'll be competing in fixed and moving step push hands whilst one of the younger members of our school will be having his first sanda fight.There's also hand/weapons forms.
    It's usually a good day out , I've met a few Mappers there over the years so if anybody's going to be there it'd be good to say hi and shoot the breeze.

2. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi Ned, Hope you have a lot of fun.

I can't make it on the 24th, previous commitment which is a shame as I have recently added training in Wudang / Practical to the other things I'm studying at the moment (So it tallies at: two Wudang sessions a week, one Yang - John Ding style, one Karate and one Tae Kwon Do)

The Oxford meet is one I haven't been to since (I think) three or so years ago... Shame as it's always interesting to watch the mixture of styles that get shown there.

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Hmm, yea won't be going but good luck mate - hope you do well and your Sanda classmate learns a lot from the experience - oh he definitely will!
    My current instructor is from ILC and he and a few others were planning to compete a little to help 'spread the word' about the style/system over here.
    Maybe you'll spot them around.

I might try and go along to the London Comp in June, if not to compete just to see what's going on and maybe take some video. It's been a while since I competed, I might even make a little comeback in June - I'll just have to see how things pan out.

good luck and bring it home! :)

4. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Hi Ned.
    one of my friend from oxford wanna attend this amazing festival, so can you please inform me the registration process. This will be very nice of you. Wish you very best of luck.
    Thanks.

5. ned

ned Valued Member

Hi webcrest , you can pay on the door to get in. Unfortunately the deadline is up for entries.
    As cloudz mentioned there's another competition in London in June ( similar -hand/weapons forms , more restricted moving step , no sanda) , you can find details on the tai chi union of Great Britain (TCUGB) website.

6. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

''The 26th Festival of Chinese Martial Arts and Open Tai Chi Championships took place the last 13th of April in the city of Oxford. Many schools from all over the United Kingdom gathered at the Blackbird Leys Leisure Centre to participate in the Championships.''

Seen this reported on a number of different competitors web sites. Is there a different comp coming up or has this passed already?

------------------------------------------------

Here is the reason - It's the 27th and not the 26th :' D

''The 27th British Open Tai Chi Championship and Festival of Chinese Martial Arts will take place at Blackbird
    Leys Leisure Centre, Oxford on Sunday 24th April 2016.''

LFD

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  7. ned

ned Valued Member

Doh ! Sorry , my mistake - that should be 27th , I stand corrected ! :hammer:

8. ned

ned Valued Member

Had a good day out today , I won moving step for my weight ( after three years and one bronze trying ) but got knocked out early in the fixed although it was close.
    My mate who'd spent the best part of two months preparing for his first sanda fight was gutted to find out early last week that it had been cancelled due to low numbers. He came along anyway to have a look and show support.
    I pointed out to him that competing is as much about the journey as the destination and we both gained a lot from training and sparring together in preparation ( also meant I shed a stone since xmas :) ) . I'm sure he'll get his chance before the year is out.
    I felt my structure had improved a lot , benefitting from more recent specific drilling of techniques and just being more relaxed. My shifu filmed some of it so I hope there'll be a copy to review.

Saw some familiar old faces , renewed a few battles and made some new friends . Also had a very interesting conversation with one of the earliest British practitioners of tai chi , Richard Watson , a fine figure of a man at 88 .

9. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Thank you Ned for your detailed and kind answer. Its highly appreciated. Hope you keep us inform for more upcoming and excited events. Many thanks.

10. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

Many congratulations ned, its good to know you have great time there. Wish you good luck and have an amazing day. :)