2016 New Year Resolutions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Frodocious, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

As we end 2015 and head towards 2016, what are your resolutions for the New Year?

My goals for this year are pretty much the same as last year, as I didn't achieve many of them.

I need to work more consistently at SMR, mobility and flexibility.
    I want to try to stay injury free - which will mean listening to my body when it starts to develop aches and pains!

I want to really improve my conditioning.

Lifting wise I'd like...

2x bodyweight deadlift/sumo deadlift
    1.5+ bodyweight squat
    Bodyweight powerclean and/or hang clean
    Bodyweight floor press/reduced range bench and (shoulder willing) full bench
    A 60 second advanced frogstand and the beginnings of a tuck planche

Get my bodyweight down below 112lbs

Complete the 12 hour team race in May as a solo runner without dying!

Get back to other sports I enjoy (including bouldering and, possibly, horse riding).

Do more freerunning.

Get back to snowboarding and get better with boxes and kickers.

Lifewise, I need to sort out my career goals and aspirations. I've been coasting through life for the last couple of years. I've had a job I'm way over qualified for, but I like the people I work with and the job is pretty easy. However, my boss, who was quite cool, has become a bit of a nutter recently and this may be the incentive I need to sort out my CV, get some GIS training and start progressing my career to something more appropriate and enjoyable.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I did pretty much everything except I get a title.

This year is compete more, train more, maybe pro by the end of the year. I also want to compete in different disciplines. Boxing and maybe a tkd format for fun.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Fight on a big show again. Possibly make some attempt to stop being single. Otherwise keep up with the general pretty fantastic upshot my life's taken at the tail end of 2015.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Get my splits back. Get back into taekwondo. Get into BJJ as a supplement to TKD or maybe even an alternative to it altogether.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

To make sure I spar and roll every week.

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

I shall level my beard up to epic status.

:meditate:

7. Rocks

Rocks Valued Member

Plenty-

1. Rehab my injury prone shoulder
    2. Move in with my girlfriend
    3. Compete in TSFE/Loadstone
    4. Find a career I give a damn about
    5. Have one more competitive fight.
    6. Make moves to compete in the SPINE Challenger.

That ought to do for now.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Get my strength back.

Been hitting a plateau thats actually lower than my pb lately and its annoying. More annoying since I'm bigger in physical musculature and a little more sculpted too.
    So I'm changing a few things around to focus more on functional strength.
    Also want to learn submission/No Gi a bit better. A new MMA gym has opened 5min walk away and they have a good pedigree so that makes things easier.

Also probably get myself back down to 80 to 85kg but I'm also quite happy at 90-94kg. See how it goes...

9. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Let me join in!

Things I'd like to do, plan to do and mostly already work on: :)

- Keep training in karate as often as possible and try to get a brown belt by the end of the year
    - Be a good example to the kids I'm trying to teach
    - Go to the World Budosai held in Naha, Okinawa and train with Higaonna Sensei in the honbu dojo (without bringing shame to my Sensei :D)
    - Bring my own Shureido karate gi and a nice tea set from Okinawa :)
    - Draw a lot and become a better artist, getting some interesting commissions wouldn't be too bad, either :3
    - Get a job in or somehow get into the graphic design to get experience in the field
    - Write my diploma thesis (Write it well and show them all that the topic is indeed good and manageable and they were wrong doubting it! :D Not sure how I'll do it, but it needs to be one kick-ass thesis :D)
    - + get my Master's degree with it (it's about time...)
    - Ideally become a postgradual student + think of an interesting topic for the dissertation that I'd enjoy
    - Move out from my parents house
    - (Get a boyfriend)
    - Be active, enjoy what I'm doing, be happy and make the people around me happy! ^^

10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Not necessarily tied to the New Year, but I will try to get a new focus on them with the change of the year anyway.

- Since I pretty much end the year the same I started it - injured - the main goal is not to get injured again.
    Bruises, black and blue marks and such - no problem. But nothing that needs several weeks to heal properly, please.

- Get my arm back as it was before.
    Meaning getting rid of the glued fascia and such and hopefully get it less sensitive to pain again; like it was before.

- Getting better condition and regain some of my flexibility.
    I'm tired of being told from me teacher that my condition... well, isn't as good as it should and could be. He's just more blunt about it ;)
    And right, I have to admit.
    My flexibility went down since I had a groin strain and am scared to try again :rolleyes: :eek:

- Finally losing those last pounds. Especially after this Christmas :D
    Since I had so much trouble with the arm I didn't try as actively to lose those last kilogram as I should have.
    Yep, I was too whiny at times and ate because I could :rolleyes:

- If everything goes as planned: Being the best Uke possible for my sensei's grading.
    Especially since I probably won't make my own in January. I will stay a yellow belt forever lol

- Working on my social skills.
    Hard as hell and I really try, but it keeps being hard.
    But apparently I made some advances this year.

- Learning on being able to eat at a buffet. Like... alone. Without someone getting the food for me, because I end up being paralyzed by fear :eek:
    (Guess that somehow falls under the point before :rolleyes: )

- Attending more seminars.
    I'd tried that this year as well, but since I need my own "babysitter" and can't do them alone, it's a bit difficult :eek:

- Getting good at teaching kids.
    So far they really seem to like me, which is great! Now I need to become still a better teacher for them. Can't never know enough about that subject.

Well, I'd better stop.
    More then I thought already :eek:

Also they're in no particular order.
    The most important for me would be a couple, that goes together: Staying injury-free so I can be a good Uke.
    So, yeah, the Uke-thing is most important for me.

11. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Do a lot more yoga. This might mean cutting down on bjj but doing more bjj is just hurting more and I miss yoga. I hope to do at least 4 yoga classes a week in 2016.

12. righty

righty Valued Member

Here we go.
    Hmm I have some quantified goals but they are all going to be the result of learning how to be consistent with myself, mostly training, food intake and focus (stopping procrastination mostly).

So I'm just going to say be consistent.

13. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Food intake is a difficult one for me too.

14. Antonius

Antonius Valued Member

1. Increase muscle mass
    2. Grapple; either judo or refresh the krav maga ground techniques Ive learned.
    3. Spar more
    4. Stretch more

Resolutions of 2015 I achieved; Red stripe WTF Taekwondo and entered a small tournemant (won). Tried out different arts (wudang, taiji, aikido and kokodo jujutsu).

15. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

1) be more tolerant.
    2) eat well more consistently (clean).
    3) see a doc about my ongoing bodily niggles.
    4) get into competition mindset and compete in nogi grappling and take my first ammy mma fight.
    5) write more.
    6) play more bass.

16. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I did quit smoking this year. So that's a big plus from last year.

This year I shall go gluten free. I've already started this for a month, and getting rid of pasta and bread from the diet has been a lot easier than I thought.

The big one for 2016, I'm certainly going to go January without alcohol, I'm still deciding on whether I can manage this for the year. Lets see.

17. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

1. Create and endlessly repeating loop
    2. Fail at my resolutions

Kidding aside in the coming year I shall:
    - get back to the gym and get my strength back to pre-injury levels
    - build my cardio back to what I consider a decent standard
    - be able to do side splits again and front splits following that

18. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, I don't do New Year's resolutions per se. But I am frequently setting short, medium, and long term goals. My school encourages this and I have found it helpful.

So, based on this, my goals for this year are as follows.

- Eating better/ learning to cook more. Cooking more on the weekends to set up for better eating throughout the week. Cutting down on my sugar intake. Hopefully, this will result in weight loss to ease the pressure on my knees and maybe my back.

- Find a way to afford a new bed. Because my very old one is not doing my back any favors.

- Cut through some boxes of clutter in my storage area. My OCD makes me hoard paperwork. My house is mostly fine- just a couple of stacks of paperwork. But I see how I COULD become a hoarder and it frightens me. My dad is an actual full on - tv show example - hoarder. So I need to go through my papers and start tossing.

I just bought a scanner/ copy machine. I am thinking I can scan papers I am afraid to toss, so that I have them, but on computer files. And then I can toss them more easily.

- Improve my kicks! My kicks due to limited practice from past injuries, are not up to where they should be right now. And they will be the big hold back to my next goal, which is...............

- To be formatting for my Black Sash in CLF by the end of 2016.

- Get better at attacking from angles in all my sparring - sparring, stick fighting, and push hands

- Get rid of the hesitation I have that gives away I am about to kick in sparring. Overall improve the timing of my kicks. I rarely land kicks coming in to attack. I land them in the middle of an attack or when backing up at the end, but almost never to start with. They are telegraphed.

19. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm in the same situation as you with my bed. My mattress is about a billion years old and certainly not helping my back issues. However, I hate change and am terrified of buying a mattress that I may find uncomfortable after a few nights!

I'm also a hoarder, I only recently got rid pf paperwork from my school days! I'm also a collector (scifi stuff etc), so I find it difficult to downsize because I refuse to get rid of my scifi stuff!

20. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, it is a big investment! And worrying about buying the wrong bed is a big concern. How the heck do you know what to buy? And all the conflicting information on what is the proper firmness?:confused:

My bed is well over 20 years old, and I got it used. So who knoows? My Dr. said they should be replaced every 8 years or so.

I have hoarding tendencies, but am not a full on hoarder. Whenever it starts to get out of control, I watch that TV show on the subject and it makes me go on a throw out spree. I know it is the OCD. I have it under control. But I could see going that route and it really scares me. My dad is a full on like the TV show hoarder. It got out of control for him once my mom died. I am really hoping using the scanner can enable me to save what I am compelled to save, but only have computer files, instead of boxes in my storage area out back.