2014 Summer Map Meet Format 1

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by John Titchen, Jul 1, 2013.

?

What format would you like and when? Choose as many as you like.

Poll closed Jul 31, 2013.
  1. Fri evening class. Fri evening BBQ and social. Saturday training. Sat eve social.

43.8%
  2. Saturday training. Sat eve social.

68.8%
  3. Sat evening class. Sat evening BBQ and social. Sunday training.

31.3%
  4. Sunday training.

18.8%
  5. Mid June

68.8%
  6. End June

50.0%
  7. Early July

31.3%
  8. Mid July

31.3%
  9. Late July

25.0%
  10. Early August

43.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Following on from last weekend's excellent gathering, I'd like to throw out a few ideas.

Here are 10 potential options for next year's summer meet. If you had 10 months notice, so you could book it into your calendar, get the time off etc - which of the following would suit you best?

Fri evening class. Fri evening BBQ and social. Saturday training. Sat eve social.
    Saturday training. Sat eve social.
    Sat evening class. Sat evening BBQ and social. Sunday training.
    Sunday training.

Pick as many as you like.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Somewhere in the United States of America training! :cry:

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think having the social the night before the training could result in, um, less than optimal training...

I reckon training first then social on Saturday.

4. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I think that may depend on the age and intensity of the participants! :evil:

5. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Train until you puke.....

6. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

In the social or the training??

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm picturing a Jack Bauer/24 type real life training scenario, followed by cake:love:

8. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Who plays Bauer?

Who plays the bad guys and girls ?

9. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Frodo will bring the cake!

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Frodo might buy the cake, but whether it actually makes it to the meet is a whole other question... :eek: :D

11. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Is that part of the training? Letting Frodo buy the cake but stopping her from eating it?

Can we wear chainmail? :wow: :p

I've already started letting the wifey know I intend to go to the next one in the Uk, here's hoping nothing interferes :)

12. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

You'll be needing more than chainmail to keep me from my cake! :yeleyes:

13. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i know, wish we could get in on the fun. considering that england is roughly the size of alabama, it's a lot easier for the engerlanders to get together than it is for us americanos.

14. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

USA regional meets?

It's true that England is smaller (well the UK is smaller as well ;' ) but there is only about 1/5th of the population of the USA over here (and generally it's pocketed). Oddly enough the roads here have to be the slowest going I ever remember travelling on... imagine 63 million people in Alabama and think of the congestion that you would have to deal with!

I bet that similarly you would have selected areas that could host a meet: Eastern Seaboard, Pacific North West, Chicago area, Minnesota area, California (maybe NorCal and SoCal) etc. I think one big difference is that there seem to be alot more Europeans on the MAP board than Americans/Canadians. Best bet might be to start recruiting people from your locality to MAP and build the community eventually building up enough to host your own meet!!

I bet that there are enough people in your area that might be interested given the right motivation (charity?) and many people are about that would like the publicity/camaraderie. I bet that the judo/BJJ/wrestling community could host a meet of it's own and that people from striking arts would come along after hearing about it from their grappling friends...

Idealist? Me? :' D

I figure that we have more to share that will bring us together than things that will truly keep us apart!! (although you might have to search really hard for a place that serves a decent bitter/porter/ale/stout over there :' P )

LFD

15. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

"Build it and they will come" :D

Mitch

16. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

What location for this one. Really wanted to attend the last one but my competition clashed! Sat training and social vote here!

Osu!

Dan93

17. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I believe we'll be going back to High Wycombe, as it's a truly fantastic venue with all the facilities we could possibly need!

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

trust me, there's plenty. you'll just have to come by and i'll take you to several establishments that only serve either in-house or custom small-batch local (midwest) brands.

plus, i know this might seem unlikely, but we have guinness here too, ya know. really, what else does a man or woman need?

19. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

A good bakery nearby would be much appreciated - and somewhere to buy coca-cola :)

20. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Cool not far for me at all. Will be there.

Osu!

Dan93