2 on 1 sparring

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by eudobex, Apr 10, 2005.

1. eudobex

eudobex New Member

Recently, being the only black belt in the class, (except the instructor obviously) when we have an odd number some times I end up fighting aganst two other people. However I havn't done much of this and haven't really been given tips on the best ways to go about it. I don't want to look crap but I am really unsure whether it is better to keep between both the oponents or to try and keep them infront of me. I would appreciate anyones opinion on this.

2. Castel

Castel New Member

You should keep them both infront of you.
    Losing site of an opponent is a VERY bad thing.
    Keeping them on the sides or one in the front and one in the back is a big no no.
    Just my 2 cents.

3. TKD=FUN

TKD=FUN New Member

we do this a lot in class i change to a front stance that way i find it a lot easier to change direction and attack

4. Yossarian75

Yossarian75 New Member

The best way to do this is to fight one at a time. Line them up, choose one and stick to them like glue. Now keep that person between you and the other by circleing whenever the line breaks. keep moving in a circle and the second person will always be behind the one you are fighting.

I find fighting two at once a losing battle, you will tire much quicker and they will hit you lots. It does give you an opportunity to use jumping split kicks though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  5. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

What rules do you fight under for two on one? WTF competition, ITF competition or something else?

I spar light contact against two people sometimes but as we do it uder WTF rules I find it kinda hard to take it seriously because to be honest you are going to lose if your up against two people who know that you are going to try and put them one in front of the other. The only chance you have is to go for the less aggresive of the twon and try to physically switch places with them or throw them around so they are between you and the other guy.

6. Leo_E_49

Leo_E_49 Valued Member

Sparring two people is harder than sparring someone who is twice as good as the best person you are fighting because of your positional disadvantage. It is, however, incredibly good MA training. My advice is keep on your feet at all times, circle in an attempt to get one in the way of the other (at least you'll keep them moving and not attacking you). There's really no set of techniques that I know of built for multiple opponents in TKD except in SD situations (requires grabbing, elbows, knees and other "illegal" moves). Move fast and dominate the space, feint at one and attack the other, back up, circle, then dash in, that sort of thing. (If you can punch, rather than kick then use more of those, it helps you stay mobile)

Just do your best and you'll improve, if someone gets cocky because they can "beat a black belt", invite them to spar 2v1 against people lower than their level, that should sort them out.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2005
  7. Taliar

Taliar Train harder!

We were doing 2 on 1 in todays class. The secret as has been said is to keep your opponents lined up using one to block the others through your movement.

What can also be good fun is to work on fighting together as 2 against 1 (not very MA i agree), but learning to work together to 'catch your opponent especially if they have good foot work is quite hard.

8. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Pick the weakest one and fight them, keep them in line as others have said.
    Push the one in front of you into the one behind and attack while they are off balance. Keep moving at all times. The only time I ever looked like I may have won a 2 on 1 sparring match was when I took one of the opponents out which brought it back to 1 on 1 :D

9. jasonservis

jasonservis Avid crosstrainer

Good advice in earlier post,also take your vision out of focus a little.The advantages of this being you see your opponents' entire body(so as to block multiple strikes more effeciently) and less likely to give away the areas your targeting in your retaliation. ;)

happy hunting, JS

10. ITDFboosabum

ITDFboosabum New Member

Here's some advice for ya...when two becomes hard then take one down, while one is down attack the other, stay side on, move if you can't block and move around. DONT EVER STAY ON THE SAME SPOT! I see kids all the time just spar on the same spot and just continue kicking and punching that way too. Attack the one you think is the weakest...you get him/her out of the way you should be right!

11. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

two on 1 => 1 on 1

I agree with taliar and yossarian. At my club two on 1 is required for 1st dan black bvelt grading and my instructor always says the golden rule is to deal with one at a time. If you stay between the two you tend to end up getting butchered so you must keep moving and line them up, make them each others obstacle so they block each others shots. The necessity of continuous movement is why two on 1 is such a good tool for developing stamina, if you have the skills necessary to give it a go. Obviously two on 1 for a white belt would be of much less use, hence the reason its only really introduced at BB level.

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

We do this regularly in class but it doesn't make much sense to me.

13. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

Why not?